PDA

View Full Version : Floscan

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 07:59 AM
#0, Floscan
Posted by Tuba8 on Sep-12-03 at 10:57 AM

I am checking into a Floscan they have several models does anyone have a recomindation pricing seems to be around 500.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Floscan
Posted by Nomad on Sep-14-03 at 08:29 AM
In response to message #0

I don't remember what Model I have Russ but next time I see you at the dock you can check out the model on the Nomad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Floscan
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Sep-18-03 at 09:52 AM

Russ,
I would love to have a FLO SCAN too. Have you checked out the NAVMAN fuel flow meter? I 'm not sure if they have a diesel version or not but, they seem to be a lot less expensive. FLO SCAN is a super piece of equipment to have but, I'm glad that another company is now producing these types of meters. FLO SCAN has had the market for a long time allowing them to set high prices. Maybe now, the price will come down a little.

#3, RE: Floscan
Posted by Tuba8 on Sep-18-03 at 11:50 AM
In response to message #2

No I havent heard of that company I will check it out. Flow Scan has a model that list my motors by name and model number its around 500.00
did you get a price from the other company. I dont know how your fuel gage works mine is not very good we ran last weekend the gage showed empty below empty we only took 101 gallons it should have read 1/3 of the tank. If I have a flowscan I will know exactly how much fuel I have used.
I think this will be the first of this winters projects.

#4, RE: Floscan
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Sep-18-03 at 01:43 PM
In response to message #3

Russ,
No I didn't get a price. I have a buddy who got a NAVMAN fuel meter for his Outboard. Supposedly it does everything the FLO SCAN does gallons per hour (GPH) as well as cumulative fuel burned. I think the price was around $150. Not even sure they make them for diesel engines. My fuel guage is not accurate at all. I'm empty when the guage reads 1/4 tank left. Yep I actually ran out of gas on the way into Mission Bay. Had to have Vessel Assist tow me a whopping 1/4 mile to the fuel dock. Oh well, better than 30 miles.

#5, RE: Floscan
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Sep-18-03 at 10:32 PM
In response to message #4

My fuel guage has been very accurate once you understand how it reads. The 26' blackman tanks are much deeper in the middle to conform to the bottom of the boat. The second "half" of the guage goes much faster than the first; typically the needle does move until I use 40-50 gallons; at 3/4 it holds 80 gallons; 50 at 1/2, 16 at 1/4. The guage sending unit is a simple one located under the bait tank, port side. 3 or 4 screws and it pops right out. The Blackman shop has a ton of them! Many times it's not the sender itself, it's the connection of the 2 wires landed to the top of the sender. Remove them and clean the contacts and check. Move the sender float up and down and see if the guage reacts. No action = new sender. Be sure to replace the rubber gasket under the sender unit plate on the top of the tank.

#6, RE: Floscan
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Sep-19-03 at 07:51 AM
In response to message #5

Thanks Doghouse,
My guage seems similiar. Doesn't seem to move off of full for approximately 40 gallons, then at 1/2 I'm down to about 50 gallons. I did run it out of gas at just under 1/4 tank. Learned the hard way, but at least now I know.

#7, RE: Floscan
Posted by Nomad on Sep-21-03 at 08:17 AM

Here is the Floscan website:
http://www.floscan.com/ModelSelection/DieselEngineMfg.asp

Charlie

#8, RE: Floscan
Posted by Accolade on Sep-24-03 at 04:46 PM

Hello:
I've had two mechanics tell me to remove it from the boat. As we know, diesel is highly compressed, and therfore does not react well to air inindation to the fuel. The flow scan actually applies air to the system. Also, it creates a long and winding road for fuel to travel down, which in turn opens the door for more fuel line leakage/failure. The dampner tank on mine went last season, and it took me two months to isolate where the system was getting the air from. I could not keep the system primed and had to manually bleed the engine after a filter change and tune up. The dampner is mounted behind the transome panel on my boat, and it was all rusted out, which in turn let air in the fuel line.
The mecahnic expalined to me why it's better to have the fuel line run from the tank right to the engine. Less room for error! I happen to agree with him, and will remove mine this winter when time permits.

Just my humble opinion that simple is better in this case.
Best regards
Tony

#9, RE: Floscan
Posted by NoSlack on Sep-24-03 at 05:28 PM
In response to message #8

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-03 AT 05:30 PM (PST)

I will agree that it's a waist of money on a boat like most of us are running. On a gas hog outboard, no boat should be without one.
At $900+ for the middle of the road model I would have to save over 700 gallons of fuel just to break even. On my boat I can tell when she is trimmed out and running her best by watching my engine temp and listening to the sound of the engine. If owning a flow scan helped me improve my fuel economy .2 gallons an hour by slowing down a 1/2 knot. I don't think it would be worth my time to slow down just to save 75 cents on 3 hour run back in.
If you're using a flow scan to squeeze every last drop out of your tank, then you're pushing the limits a little to hard IMO. Most of us have 300-400 of mile range as it is. Maybe I'm just getting soft. If I rack up 300 mile over the weekend, I can't wait to get home and sleep in my nice comfy bed.

Mike

#10, RE: Floscan
Posted by Tuba8 on Sep-24-03 at 06:08 PM
In response to message #9

My problem is that the fuel gage reads emty when I have used 100 gallons. I would like to know exactly how much fuel I have left in my tank. If you are fishing the mushroom 97 miles out trolling for 10 hours and 97 mile back. Fuel used becomes important if you know what I mean.I have spoken to the blackmans about the problem and Don recomendes the flow scan the gage will never work as I need it to. How much fuel I use at what RPM is not important to me just interesting.

#11, RE: Floscan
Posted by NoSlack on Sep-24-03 at 07:58 PM
In response to message #10

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-03 AT 08:14 PM (PST)

If you're looking for a linear fuel gauge reading with an irregulare shaped tank give Centroid Products a call. They make an electronic sending unit that allows them to set it up to match your tank shape.
http://www.centroidproducts.com/

I heard this was be the unit Blackman is installing these days( without tank shape compensation).

The electronics are designed from your inch/gal tank chart ($60) or your dimensioned tank drawing ($120). Click on the "Data Sheet" and scroll down to page 27 to see all the option for ordering.

The only caution I say about this unit is "it is prone to fouling if you have crud floating in your tank". I have one sitting on my work bench(non tank shape compensated) if you want to see one before ordering anything.

If you have any questions I can answer give me a call. 619 465-1617

http://www.centroidproducts.com/cp-hw04.jpg

Mike

ps Next time you come down to Mission Bay, let me know and I'll bring it by for you to look at.

#12, RE: Floscan
Posted by chrisc on Sep-27-03 at 10:29 AM

Russ,
I had a high-end Floscan model 950 installed by Don when I bought my 26' yanmar diesel 12/02. I grant it was very pricey, but I've found it works well. It appears Floscan has released new models this year ("less complicated install" probably equates to a simplified design). I had Don install the Floscan in place of the standard RPM guage on the dash. Note the unit needs to be angled upwards (something like 20+ degrees at minimum) in order to viewable. While I agree it's hard to cost justify the high end units, I would still do it over again. Very small differences in trim and/or changes in rpm relative to sea state (especially when trolling) can easily represent a 10% fuel consumption difference.

Also, for what it's worth, I've been able to adjust the unit to within 1-2% of acutal fuel consumption, though it took me a while to get the combination of idle/low rpm consumption and cruise comsumption adjusted correctly.

Re: other benefits - well my 2 biggest beefs are I'm not getting any where near the overall mileage others seem to get (yes, I have a straight and am still thinking about a 4 blade prop) and second - I get much better mileage when I push the boat to a 20 knot cruise speed (from say 18), though at 20 knots the hull is at that magical point of problematic/unsafe bow steer.

Regards, Chris
(knot@work)

#13, RE: Floscan
Posted by Tuba8 on Sep-28-03 at 02:24 PM
In response to message #12

Thanks for the info Chris sorry you are still having problem with fuel ecomy. Sounds like speed is not the problem if you can run 20 knt. We think we are getting 2.5 min and overall 3 mpg. We fished the Mushroom three weeks in a row 97 miles out 97 in and trolled for 7 to 10 hours. the First weekend we used 102 gallons the second week we used 75 and the third 86 if you add all this up and avr. it comes out to 2.5 to 3 mpg we dont run 20 knt for the same reason we run out at night at 13 and come in at 17 to 18 2700 to 2800 on the way in and 2400 to 2500 on the way out. I think we run a little slower than most 26 more because we like to leave early. How is Dana Point?

#15, RE: Floscan
Posted by chrisc on Sep-28-03 at 08:47 PM
In response to message #13

Russ/Bill,
Good to hear from both of you again.

Yes, I'm still a bit depressed re: fuel economy, but as the motor has broken in it has gotten better. I'm just at 230 hours, so it's time for a valve adjustment. Maybe it will help to get a little more air into the combustion chamber.

Don put a 19x19 Michigan Dyna-Jet 3 blade bronze on it initially, but it couldn't reach WOT when fully loaded, so he says he changed it to 19x18 (cupping uknown). Last I checked I could get at least 3400 rpm WOT, based on the floscan rpm gauge. I'm going through the research excercise now with Michigan on a 4-blade, maybe NiBrAL (a bit thinner), to see what the numbers say. Once I have their data I'll to start the conversations with prop shops (AAA Prop seems to be the most reputable in the Newport Beach area - who does the best work in San Diego??).

During my last 3 trips (160 - 210 nm) I averaged 1.95, 2.1 & 2.3 nm/gallon (cruise and troll). The better numbers are very correlated with higher cruise speeds (both at night going out and the run back to Dana) - the floscan helps alot here. I'm hoping a 4-blade will allow me to run at 2600-2700 like you do Russ, but with better fuel consumption than I get today. I currently have to run between 2850 - 2950 (depending on sea state) to get decent cruise mileage.

I'm looking forward to fishing the Cortez Bank when the Santa Anna winds start blowing - but technically the 190nm round trip run plus trolling puts me at my max safe 2/3 tank distance. I hate the thought of having to haul fuel containers on this trip ....

I'll keep you all posted of any progress made.

One other thought I've had - I've not been able to get a straight answer on what brand and centane rating the Dana Point dock pumps. I'm suspicious the centane rating is lower than what Yanmar recommends for the engine (45).

Take Care,
Chris.

#21, RE: Floscan
Posted by Saltwaters on Oct-28-03 at 07:45 PM
In response to message #15

Chris,
It's been awhile since I've looked at this thread. If you have not already bought a 4 blade prop, check out an Austral prop. Tony Athens up at Seaboard installs a lot of these props and he is the repower king. The best there is.

He said I would pick up 1.5 kts by installing one of these props. I think Propeller Solutions in San Diego sells them. (I sent them an e-mail several months ago but they did not reply)

They aren't cheap but they are supposed to be worth the price.

Let us know if you get one and how it works. I'm really interested since I have the same 1.56:1 ratio you have.
Bill on Tunacious

#14, RE: Floscan
Posted by Saltwaters on Sep-28-03 at 06:10 PM
In response to message #12

Chris,
Long time no talk. What size prop are you turnng now? What is you max rpm at WOT?

From what I have read, poor fuel economy can be related to an overloaded engine. We turn 3500 rpm at WOT get around 2.3 mpg. Russ, with his 4 blade prop and different gear ratio turns 3600 at WOT and gets better fuel economy and speed than both of us. Kind of makes me wish I had the 2:1 gear ratio.

Bill on Tunacious

#16, RE: Floscan
Posted by Tuba8 on Sep-29-03 at 08:16 AM
In response to message #14

Bill
How are you guys I havent heard from you all summer?

Did you get into the tuna at all?

We hoop neted this weekend for the first time lots of fun we only used 4 net should have had all ten. We pulled one boat off the rocks 4 drunks on board no dock lines no anchor. At four in the morning a boat drifted up next to us dead battery and pluged fuel system Marc fixed it and we jump started them. Crazy people in this world I am surprized more people dont kill themselves every day.

Total take was lots of shorts 2 legal and 15 large spider crabs

And one very swolen hand a sculpin nailed me my hand looks like a foot

Hope all is well we hit the 500 hour this month still running good

#17, RE: Floscan
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Sep-29-03 at 12:44 PM
In response to message #16

How late were you 2 out? did you find any macks? There is a GREAT ling bite straight off the jetty in 90' of water; yesterday I caught 15+ in one hour with 2 legals on sardines.
Russ, let me know shirt size ASAP for the tourney.

#18, RE: Floscan
Posted by Tuba8 on Sep-29-03 at 01:22 PM
In response to message #17

Jeff
We came in around 6 am lots of fun my arms hurt marc is a little sore.

Sounds like we should have gone fishing it has picked up a little and the wind is down should be flat for this weekend 1010 sounds like it may be heating up lets hope.

Sorry I forgot to give you the check saturday I will bring one on friday xxlarge for both of us.

Yes we picked up a few macks and used them for bait all night.

The bait cages we used on the nets had 1 inch openings and the lobster and crabs picked the bait out to easy.

I am taking friday off I will try to make bait thursday night

Marc wont be down until late Friday night so come by the boat and I will go to the captains meeting with you.

#19, RE: Floscan
Posted by Saltwaters on Sep-30-03 at 09:09 PM
In response to message #16

Hey Russ!
It's been a long time since we talked. This has been a crazy year. We fished a couple of the Dana Angling club tournaments on other club member's boats and then fished the BAC masters and the Catalina Classic, all on someone else's boat.

Poor Tunacious isn't getting much of a chance to get bloody. Bob is taking her out this weekend while I go to Catalina with the girlfriend. Catalina for the weekend without a boat, fish and lobster to be caught and no boat. I don't know how that happened.

We finally got a Mexican boat permit and have not hit Mexican waters yet. Maybe Bob will get there.

I'm to the point of calling myself an ex-fisherman and ex-diver.

Something has to change. Time for a new job.

Take care.

Bill on Tunacious

#20, RE: Floscan
Posted by Tuba8 on Oct-01-03 at 06:47 AM
In response to message #19

Bill
As long as your getting rich and will retire in a few years I can see giving up a few years of fishing. Otherwise what are you thinking!!

Hope you get out soon