PDA

View Full Version : 5/3 it's ruff out there

NoSlack
05-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I wanted to give the T's a go and Thursday would be my only open day until next week. Loaded the boat, packed a lunch and turned in early last night. The wife comes in after catching the late news and informs me that Loran Nancarrow said "high surf, heavy winds and a small craft warning by late afternoon" for Thursday.

Launched at 7am and made my way out of Mission Bay. You know it's not going to be pretty when everyone that launched before you is coming back in. On a scale of 1 to 10, and the day of Don's service being a 10, it was only an 8.5 or 9. To ruff to make bait but smooth enough to kick it up to 8 knot and pound my way out to the buoy.

The area of 50 over 21 was pretty lifeless with a lot of broken up kelp and grass in the water making it hard to keep the jigs clean. Worked my way up to the new buoy location 56 over 19 for my one and only bump of the day.

Today would have beed a good day for a bigger boat. It gets old chasing your olive around the deck when it sloshes out of the glass.

Mike

iclypso
05-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Mike,
If we tied our boats together we could have 46' of Billfisher. Until then, stick to beers (no olive required).

yellowfin1
05-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the report Mike. I was bumming yesterday because I had an important meeting which someone scheduled for 3:00PM. The plan was to head out there for an afternoon/evening bite but, the meeting threw a wrench into that plan. Sorry it was rough for you but, it makes me feel better that I didn't miss much. My next shot will be tomorrow AM. Will try the LJ Kelp at gray light then move offshore for a T-shark attempt.

DOGHOUSE26
05-04-2007, 08:16 AM
The JohnnyBoat went back out Wednesday PM to the spot where they had action Monday was dirty green as opposed to clean green; they traveled north above the Canyon and found warmer clean blue/green water but no strikes and no bait , but they never saw bait Monday either. I hope that was the first wave coming through and since there was no bait to keep them around they just pushed up farther north. Once the weather calms down maybe next week we'll get another good shot and hopefully some bait will show and help the T's to settle in.

Good Luck tonight Mike and don't give up all your spots!

NoSlack
05-04-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm telling them everything they ever wanted to know tonight. Knowing where to go and how to rig the bait is only 2% of the halibut catching formula. The other 98% is having enough determination to fish a spot for 30 or 40 hours before the pay day comes in.

My dad waisted 20 year tring to teach me patence. It wasn't until I hit rock bottom 7 years ago with my level of frustration that I changed my ways, and the rest is history.

Mike

Wizard
05-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Just use the golfing analogy at your lecture.

(Halibut fishing is like Golfing. Most of us that golf, go out and hack up 17 out of 18 holes, swearing this is stupid, what kind of patience and personality would find this fun. Then you hit that one shot, straight, long, lands about 2 feet from the cup, and you can't wait to do it again next weekend. Catch a 30+ lber once every few trips, and you can't help but want to do it again)

NoSlack
05-05-2007, 10:28 AM
That's a pretty good analogy Glenn. One good swing out of a hundred and we think we're Tiger Wood and ready for the tour.

Mike