PDA

View Full Version : Inboard Billfisher props

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 08:01 AM
#0, Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Tuba8 on Jun-10-02 at 03:44 PM

I am still having problems with proping maybe if I new what props are on other 26' inboards it would help. If anyone with an inboard would drop me a note it may help eng size would help also.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Hijole on Jun-11-02 at 01:30 AM
In response to message #0

I started with A-4's. Had to change to A-3.
AQAD41A Engine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Sleigher on Jun-11-02 at 08:18 AM

You mean a shaft driven inboard I am assuming?
If so, I am currently swinging a 19 X 18 three blade.
I have a 26 Outerbanks with a TAMD41-A (200 horse).
Is your boat on a trailer? If so I had asked what other guys were doing to protect their props and rudders but I received no response.
Also, have you ever changed the cutlass beaging or rudder bearing on your boat? If so, was it hard? If you had it done was it expensive?

#3, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Saltwaters on Jun-11-02 at 06:59 PM
In response to message #2

Peter, I didn't see your post on protecting the prop and rudder. I have seen guys attach all sorts of theings tot he bottoms of their boats in an attempt to protect the gear. I think all of them were a waste of time and money and added more drag to the boat.
I think the best we can do is keep a sharp look out for floating objects and hope you do not hit anything.

Ask Don about changing the cutlass bearing. It isreal deep in the back of our boats. Don has a special tool for adjusting the packing on the rudder shaft.

Bill on Tunacious

#5, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Tuba8 on Jun-11-02 at 08:54 PM
In response to message #3

Peter
Yes I am on a trailer pacific made the trailer for me last month
they made a cage of sorts around the prop and rudder. Angle iron runs under the prop and back to the rear cross bar I dont think the rudder can drag if that is what you mean.

They had never built a trailer for a 26 inboard Pacific loaned me a easy loader trailer so I could bring the boat to them they have all the measurment now if anyone is interested.

No I did not replace the cutlas bearing. I have had the shaft off a few times I dont think it would be a problem to replace it.

My rudder packing is a little hard to get to but I have adj it and the leaking stoped. I used a pipe wrench and water pump pliers to loosen the keeper nut.

#6, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Tuba8 on Jun-11-02 at 08:58 PM

Peter
One more thing you are swinging a 19 dim prop how much room do you have between the blade and the bottom of the boat ?

I have around 1.5" I have been told I cannot go larger.

#11, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Sleigher on Jun-14-02 at 09:36 AM
In response to message #6

I have roughly 1.5" of clearance.
Looking forward to those pictures of the trailer.
I actually went looking for Pacific trailers yesterday but I forgot where they were.

#12, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Tuba8 on Jun-14-02 at 02:42 PM
In response to message #11

Chino
I have the photos I will send them to you today

I swing an 18 and have 1.5 in the clear

Every boat is different

#13, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Tuba8 on Jun-14-02 at 08:36 PM
In response to message #11

Peter
Give me your email address so I can send you the photos

#14, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Sleigher on Jun-17-02 at 10:47 AM
In response to message #13

pjcgrows@aol.com
Thanks

#8, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Sleigher on Jun-12-02 at 09:42 AM

Thanks for the response. The protection I was talking about is from things like driveways and curbs. Not logs and debris, unless they are littering my driveway.
I talked to Don about both bearings. One of the questions was when is it time to change them?
Maybe it's too hard to tell over the phone.
I have about 1/16" of movement if you grab the shaft and try to move it around. I told Don that and he didn't think that sounded bad. Other info I have found on the web pointed to any movement being bad.
It's been an expensive boat year allready so I would like to believe what Don said.
The rudder post moves around at least twice as much as the shaft, again he didn't seem to have a problem with that, of course this was all over the phone.
I'll measure the clearance of my prop/hull and get back to you on that.
Thanks guys!

#9, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Tuba8 on Jun-12-02 at 03:05 PM
In response to message #8

The way Pacific built the trailer the prop and the rudder are inside the trailer. In other words the trailer will drag on a curb or driveway not the boat. I will take a picture and email it to you.

#10, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Saltwaters on Jun-12-02 at 05:21 PM
In response to message #8

Oops. I didn't realize you were talking about the trailer. I thought you were talking about offshore damage.
I actually saw a 23 ft inboard powered Fish Natique with a huge shrould around the prop, shaft and rudder. Looked very similar tot the protection the skiffs the net boats use to pull their nets around schools of tuna. I thought that was what you were talking about.

My mistake.

Bill on Tunacious

#4, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Saltwaters on Jun-11-02 at 07:00 PM

Russ, I left a long post on your repower thread. I think you need to add cup to your prop. My guess is you are not putting enough load on the engine.
Let me know if the numbers I used are incorrect and I will run them again.

Bill on Tunacious

#7, RE: Inboard Billfisher props
Posted by Tuba8 on Jun-11-02 at 09:00 PM
In response to message #4

Bill I saw your message thanks again for your time.
I think you are right cupping will do the trick

I hope