PDA

View Full Version : Straight drive vs outdrive-Fish hold

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 08:02 AM
#0, Straight drive vs outdrive
Posted by firebc on Jul-02-02 at 06:01 PM

As I get near the time of ordering a boat I'm starting to consider certain points. I would appreciate any input from all of you on your opinions on I/O's vs straight drives. I'm guessing I will leave the boat in the water for about five months and out the rest of the time. I've talked with Don but he doesn't seem to care which way you order it.
Thanks in advance!

Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive
Posted by Nomad on Jul-02-02 at 06:22 PM
In response to message #0

If I were going with twins I would go direct drive, with a single screw I opted for the outdrive for better handling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive
Posted by Hijole on Jul-02-02 at 07:13 PM
In response to message #1

With the Outdrive you get the large fish hold. I think this area is taken up by the engine on the straight drive. I can't live witthout that fish hold.

#3, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive
Posted by sharkwaters on Jul-02-02 at 08:54 PM
In response to message #2

If you're ordering the express, you still get the fish hold. Maintenance cost on the direct drive is very minor. Change the gear oil every few hundred hours and check alignment once a year. Don said a I/O has 50% of maint cost versus 10% for direct drive. You gain speed and some manuerverability with I/O. I/O drive has to propel the boat, turn, raise out of the water, trim, and provide cooling water and exhaust return. Alot of things to go wrong or to maintain, all this with an alloy housing and stainless shafts. I chose direct drive for these reasons, but others like I/O. The subject is debateable
Bob on TUNACIOUS
One other thing, you need to run lures further back on I/O due to more turbulence in the wake.

#4, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive
Posted by moo fish on Jul-03-02 at 06:14 AM

Long term immersion in salt water and OD's just do not mix. Marina's are notorious for stray currents which can evaporate the aluminum OD in no time at all. Take a tour of any marina and check the boats with OD's in the water. And, check with a dive service and get their take on OD's in salt water......rt

#5, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive
Posted by Sleigher on Jul-03-02 at 09:22 AM

My previous boat was a duo-prop- very manueverable but a whole-nother big ticket part to worry about. You'll get a little more speed with the I/O but this year the weather has been so sloppy who can use their speed?
The single screw can get scary in tight quarters and you have to be concerned with packing leaks but for a big boat I think it's the only way to go.
Plus, once you've mastered docking and embarking the chicks will go crazy for you. Or so I have heard, I've had some pretty close calls so I am no where near a master yet!

#6, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive
Posted by firebc on Jul-03-02 at 05:13 PM
In response to message #5

Thanks for all the information. I didn't know that the fish hold would be lost (Outerbanks) and that is important to me as well. Arguments about maintenance are also important. I am getting the feeling it's going to boil down to whatever I choose at the time. Quick question about speed: Blackman lists both with a crusing speed of 21 mph and top at 31. After reading some other notes am I right that it will actually be around 18 mph?
Phil

#13, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive
Posted by Tuba8 on Jul-07-02 at 12:32 PM
In response to message #6

I have a stright drive and yes the best cursing speed with a full load is 18k the only thing I can say is if you are going to keep it in the water IO is not the way to go.

#7, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive
Posted by Nomad on Jul-03-02 at 06:16 PM
In response to message #5

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-02 AT 09:21 PM (PST)

Chicks go crazy for skippers mastering the straight drive? Omygosh, Don didn't tell me this. See, that's why a site like this is so important. Wonder if I can get John at Blackmans to plug that outdrive cutout? On second thought, I still have my my hands full keeping one wife of 18 years happy...don't need any more!
Oh well.....the most important thing to remember is that decisions on a new boat are always a series of compromises. There are trade offs to every decision regarding your boat. You have to figure out what is important to YOU and be willing to accept the trade offs. Everyone here has a good point and has a configuration that suits his needs with acceptable compromises. I will be very happy with my outdrive...but I will also be neurotic about keeping it serviced and always be wondering when it may go out. But that's the trade off for manuverability (sp?...on vacation, 2 margaritas down, 1+ to go).

#8, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive
Posted by firebc on Jul-03-02 at 07:47 PM
In response to message #7

Neurotic sounds like me. Service is the key.
Phil

#9, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive-Fish hold.
Posted by Sleigher on Jul-05-02 at 08:53 AM
In response to message #8

I don't know how big a fish hold you need, mines pretty big I think we have put as many as 30 smaller albacore, one bluefin and 10 smaller yellows in and still had room. My brother and I put 13 bigger albies 20-35 and still had room for at least another 13 but how much fish do you want?
Speed? 16-18 kts cruise top end 23 kts.
I bet if you had them put the batteries in the cabin or engine room you could double the fish hold capacity, it would be better for the batteries and switches too.

#10, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive-Fish hold.
Posted by firebc on Jul-05-02 at 07:31 PM
In response to message #9

I didn't realize the fishhold would still be there and that many albacore would be plenty. Any more than that and a kill bag would work also.
Thanks

Phil

#11, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive-Fish hold.
Posted by sharkwaters on Jul-06-02 at 01:30 PM
In response to message #10

We have the fish hold in our express, Tunacious, and used it recently. We hosed it out good with the pump running and thought all was cool. What it was, was stinky. Next time we'll try bleach, but the marina doesn't like that. I bought a "Da Kine" bag which fits on the swim step and can double as a kill bag for bleeding out and for cold storage. This is a good alternative.
Good luck on your decision.
Bob TUNACIOUS

#12, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive-Fish hold.
Posted by firebc on Jul-06-02 at 06:37 PM
In response to message #11

Thanks Bob. So many decisions and I'll bet you're all happy with what you've chosen. Your comment about stink - that's been a common thread with the fish hold - I was considering a kill bag anyway.
Phil

#14, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive-Fish hold.
Posted by Hijole on Jul-10-02 at 11:08 PM
In response to message #12

On the stinky fish hold.
I have a small green fish-net used for aquariams around 4 inches in diameter. When I clean the fish hold and sometimes the bait tank,I use the waterhose to get the left overs moving around the bottom while I pick up them up with the net.
Clorox has a bathroom cleaner that also has bleach mixed with the soap. Cleans and smells good.

#15, RE: Straight drive vs outdrive-Fish hold.
Posted by firebc on Jul-22-02 at 09:24 PM
In response to message #14

Do you dock your boat or trailer it? I've heard marinas get real picky about what goes in the water. I like the idea though. I just checked out an Outerbanks tonight and he does something simular to your idea with no lingering odors.
Phil