PDA

View Full Version : Gas vs Diesel

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 08:03 AM
#0, Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Going Big on May-11-02 at 10:02 PM

Has anyone read gas vs diesel by david Pascoe on Yacht survey.com? You wont beleave what he says.Please read and let me know what you think.Biggie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Nomad on May-12-02 at 06:59 AM
In response to message #0

http://yachtsurvey.com/GasNdiesel.htm
Interesting point of view. I'll take the Volvo AD41 Diesel since there are no gas stations out on the water. I also hated being a floating bomb like I was the past several years carrying 60 gallons of gas in containers. I'm really looking forward to the range on the "Nomad". As with anything else, particularly on a boat, there are always trade offs!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Sleigher on May-13-02 at 09:12 AM

I read it a long time ago. He makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately it really bursts a lot of bubbles.
Internaly we rationalize to help justify what we want-range,safety,longevity etc.
If you read some of his other articles he is pretty hard on I/O s being kept in the water.
I like diesel and that was all the justification that I needed.
I don't like the O part of an I/O which is why I went straight.

#3, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Going Big on May-13-02 at 09:43 PM
In response to message #2

This is Biggie,is it true what Dave Pascoe wrote when he said Diesels that are made with aluminum parts that rev high dont last long? Do you guys with with diesel have major problems like what he wrote? or do diesels last long? I was just wondering because I was looking into the 120 hp mercruiser diesel last year when I repowered,no one had one that I could check out at the time. Now,I hear it's a great engine! I thought 120 hp might be to small for my 20 ft Blackman but people with bigger boats rave about them.Sometimes I wish I never read that article.I was just wondering if he's telling the truth or is he full of gas.

#4, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by NoSlack on May-14-02 at 07:05 AM
In response to message #3

I own a 1981 23' Blackman that has it's original engine in. The AQAD40 is a great work horse that should give you 6-10 thousand hours of service if you do you maintenance and don't over work it. I'm currently sitting arround 3000 hours and hope to get 10 more years out of her. I talked to one guy that had over 10,000 on the same engine.
Diesels are like the ladys, treat them right and they won't let you down.

Mike

#5, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Nomad on May-16-02 at 05:10 PM
In response to message #4

Does Volvo provide a good guide for maintaining their engines?

#6, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by NoSlack on May-16-02 at 09:08 PM
In response to message #5

The manual that comes with your engine will give you all the info you need for the routine stuff like oil, filters, belts, hoses and zinks. It you plan on doing things like valve adjustments, you should pick up a shop manual for your engine.
Mike

#7, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Tuba8 on May-17-02 at 09:27 AM

It seems appropriate that I say something on this subject as I am in the process of removing a perfectly good gas motor and installing a very expensive diesel. I have been asken a million time why. Most peoples opion is run the gas motor to death and then replace it. My answer is two fold. First the boat hold 150 gallons of fuel on a resent trip to Catalina Island we ran from Dana Point to the west end on the back side spent the night and returned the following day this trip used 120 gallons approx 1.7 mile per gallon. As you can see this makes San Clemente out of the question. Second reason it has taken seven weeks to receive the new motor and will take two or three weekends to install it if I wait and something happens to the gas motor I could loose the summer (not worth the risk) Those of you with deisels how much fuel would it have taken you to do the same trip?
The cost of fuel was not a factor in my decision if you factor the coat of the motor I could buy a lot of gas for 17,000.00. I guess last but not least I should be able to recover most of the cost when I sell I would think.

#8, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Sleigher on May-17-02 at 10:49 AM
In response to message #7

I don't know offhand how far you ran but I would guess you had a round trip of about a hundred nautical miles which would make your math questionable.
I have a straight shaft TAMD 41 A in my 26 Outerbanks.The last time I filled up it was after two trips to Catalina one of which we circled the island and the other where I ran to the backside then way up the front side and then back to the back.
From past trips I would figure this to be about 160-180 nautical miles. I burned 81 gallons.
The best I ever do is about 2.5/nm.

#9, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Tuba8 on May-17-02 at 10:59 AM
In response to message #8

Sleigher
I did not go into detail as to the exact mile traveled however according to my GPS trip meter we travel 197 mile that weekend most of the mile were not at crusing speed however if I was crusing we would have used even more fuel. You figurs around 2.5 on your thats not bad at what speed do you normaly run?

#10, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by sharkwaters on May-18-02 at 01:41 PM
In response to message #9

I agree with sleigher. I have a inboard 41A and a trip to the tuna grounds off the butterfly from Dana, 180 miles, would be 75 gallons. Plus diesel is cheaper than gas.

#11, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Tuba8 on May-19-02 at 06:16 AM
In response to message #10

All I can say is I cant wait for the diesel to be installed I dont like gas motors.

#13, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Saltwaters on May-29-02 at 03:28 PM
In response to message #11

Russ,
How about an update on your project? We are very interested in talking to you and would like to see your boat.

Bill on Tunacious

#12, RE: Gas vs Diesel
Posted by Sleigher on May-20-02 at 09:55 AM
In response to message #9

I cruise at about 15-16 kts/3200 RPM.
I also burn red dye diesel which I buy on land. Way better burn than when I buy red dye on the water.