PDA

View Full Version : magnetic fuel conditioner

NoSlack
05-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Here is the follow up to my magnetic fuel conditioner experiment.

I've been reading up on the magnetic fuel conditioners for years and wondered if it was snake oil or the real deal. being the cheap ass that I am I wasn't going to drop $200 on one of the commercially made units just to find out it was just a scam.

After a little more digging I found that the fuel conditioners were nothing more than a couple rare earth(neodymium) magnets that the fuel flows between. The idea is to set up a magnetic field for the fuel to flow through and that re-aligns the molecules so the except oxygen better and break up clusters of stuff that won't burn if the clusters get to big.

With my 26 year old fuel tank I was lucky to get 70 hours out of my 10 micro racor filter before it looked like a wool blanket. I installed my home made mag fuel conditioner 233 hours ago and here is what I found when I pulled the filter tonight. It was ready to be replaced but no where near as bad as before with 3 times the hours on it. I've already save $15 on filters in the first 10 months with my $8 experiment.

http://www.bocapix.com/data/512/medium/233_hours.JPG

The block was very easy to make. I use 2 pieces of 1X2 oak, cut 2 1/2" long. Drill a hole down the middle that your fuel line will fit in and router out a slot on the outsides for the magnets to sit in. I went with a 2"X1/2"X 1/8" magnet
http://kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY082 . You need to arrange the magnet so they are in the attracting position. Be careful when you are trying to figure this part out. These babies have 83 pounds of pull each and will pinch a finger if they get away from you. work with a sheet of cardboard between them to avoid them crashing together.

Now that you have the orientation set mark them and set them in the slots in the wood. You will need a 1/2" wide piece of steel to place on the back of the magnet to help direct the field towards the center where the fuel will be flowing. I taped off the ends of the block and poured a little resin in the slot to seal and hold everything in position.

Clamp it over the fuel line and you're ready to go.

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/magfuelcond.JPG

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/fuelcond.JPG

Mike

Wizard
05-31-2007, 08:49 PM
Jeez Mike.. gadget queen.. hehehe

iclypso
05-31-2007, 10:20 PM
You will need a 1/2" wide piece of steel to place on the back of the magnet to help direct the field towards the center where the fuel will be flowing.

Looks like a cool experiment, Mike. It's always nice when an "I wonder if..." turns into something that could be useful. Can you explain what you did with the 1/2" piece of steel?

NoSlack
06-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Take a close look at the last picture. From the center out you have the wood, the magnet, a thin piece of steel and resin to fill up the grove. The steel on the backside of the magnet helps consentrate the magnetic field towards the center of the block where the fuel will be flowing.

Mike

yellowfin1
06-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Cool stuff Inspector Gadget!

Honeygirl
06-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Cool mike, I wish I had thought of that a year ago when I bought the $200 model. My filters are half as dirty as befor but I still change them every 200hours to be on the safe side. Joe

NoSlack
06-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey Joe

Did you go with the AlgaeX or the Dieselcraft model? I read a lot of good things about those two products over the years.

These thing have a lot of good uses. They claim you get the most bang for you buck on a natural gas line, with gasoline being a close second. You can also used them on the water line before a water heater to keep the scale from building up in the bottom of the tank.

I've read claims of a 10% bump in fuel milage on gas engines and 20% on nautural gas.

Be carefull around elecrtonic like the brain in a car, TV or a pacemake. Get to close and they are wiped out for good.

Mike