PDA

View Full Version : reverse polarity

Honeygirl
06-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Has anybody had or know why when I plug the boat into a 15amp outlet I get reverse polarity light? When I am plunged into a 30 amp I do not get a light. I have tried two different plugs at my house and my generator with the same result. The plug adaptor is a sealed unit from west marine and cost a little too much to start cutting it up. Thanks Joe

NoSlack
06-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Chances are it was made in China and they crossed the black(hot) and white(neuteral) wires when making the adaptor. Do you have a volt/ ohm meter to check the continuity?

The ground on the 15 amp plug is U shaped and L shaped on the 30 amp plug. The neutral on the 15 amp is the larger of the two straight blades and the smaller of the two curved blades on the 30 amp. This is were the non english speaking manufactures go wrong. They wire the largest blade to the larges blade and come out with a reverse polartiy problem.

Take it back before you get hurt.

http://www.guestindustrial.com/images/products/medium/104SPP-CMYK-99.jpg

http://www.guestindustrial.com/images/products/thumb/15AmpMaleTrans.jpg http://www.guestindustrial.com/images/products/thumb/30AmpFemale7-04trans.jpg

Wizard
06-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Sometimes I have to flip the master A/C breaker on and off a few times for the polarity to flip right. Maybe a common issue with the Blackman setup, since reading your issue and it sounding like mine sometimes.

Honeygirl
06-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys. Glenn, I have noticed that sometimes the light is very bright and other times it's dim. I will check it with my ohm meter and then try the switch as well. Also, do either of you guys have and extra pair of 290 lift rams you are willing to part with. Mine won't hold tilt. Thanks, Joe

Wizard
06-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I have two extra sets of 290 tilt rams, along with two extra complete transom plates. I was thinking of cleaning them up and selling on ebay soon, too much Volvo hardware taking up space in garage (5 sets of various props, spare motor, two transom plates, 2 tilt-trim motor/reservoirs, and about every volvo nut/bolt/etc.)

But be warned, 290 trim rams are not easy to replace with motor in the boat. I finally pulled my motor to replace the o-rings on the pins that hold them at the top. They were leaking while boat in slip.

Honeygirl
06-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Glenn, Let me know what you want for the rams. I also need a reservior. I know the rams are a bitch to do but it has to been done. I use my trim\tilt constantly when Im under way. I can inprove my mpg a fair amount using it.
Thanks Joe

Wizard
06-11-2007, 09:45 AM
I will have to clean up a pair and see how to test em to insure they are good.

Honeygirl
06-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks Glenn, Im pulling the boat out of the water next week. The rams are on my long list of things to do. Thanks again Joe.

Wizard
06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I cleaned up a set of rams, not tested yet, kinda a pain. Also have a pump, bracket needs a little cleaning up.