PDA

View Full Version : Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 08:08 AM
#0, Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by Accolade on Sep-06-02 at 09:11 AM

Fellas:
I can not convey how important it is to keep all and any line free and clear of your outdrive. My good friend did not tell me he hung his pink Ande in the drive four trips ago out of embarasment. Well, the line fused with the shaft seals and let water into the oil....
Lot's of damage and $859 later I'm back in action, but not without permanent damage. My drive will most likely blow early next season.
New rules on the Accolade:
1. If one hangs line in the props, they go in to remove it before I start the vessel.
2. If my crew can't fish with the wind in thier face, they won't be asked back.
3. If my crew thinks they know more about my boat and fishing than me, they can call Point Loma, pay $150, fish with 25 strangers, and get yelled at all day by some salty 18 year old punk deck hand from Michigan!
4. Pink Andy is banned for life!

Reccomendation:
Remove your props after each trip to check for fishing line.

Hang Loose!
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by Captn_Hook on Sep-06-02 at 09:20 AM
In response to message #0

Tony: What a BUMMER! When I got back last saturday, I put the boat on the trailer to cover and I noticed a #2 hook hanging off behind my prop. I have volvo 280. I removed the cone and prop and found a bunch of line wrapped up around the shaft. On my drive, before the seals, There is a cover plate. This plate looks to have kept the line from getting anywhere near the seal. Or maybe I just got lucky. Good advice to check it after every use. Sorry to here about the damage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#7, RE: Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by Accolade on Sep-09-02 at 08:17 AM
In response to message #1

Thanks for the condolance. That number 2 hook could become the most expensive hook you ever bought.
Take care
Tony

#2, RE: Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by Nomad on Sep-06-02 at 11:32 AM

Tony,
Good rules to live by, How did you know there was a problem? Sorry things turned out the way they did. Did he not have his line in when you were taking off or did he drop the line in before you stopped?

#3, RE: Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by Accolade on Sep-06-02 at 06:03 PM
In response to message #2

Hi Charlie:
I think he got busted of on a fish, due to, not following it around the corner. When I hit the ramp the last trip, the boat hesitated to go into gear, and then a big clunk sound and I was moving again. I had to rev the motor a little bit to get it to engage. I was told immediately that I most likely had water in the outdrive.
Have a great weekend, and hope to see you killing fish out there!
Take care and smooth sailing
Tony

#4, RE: Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by Going Big on Sep-06-02 at 07:31 PM
In response to message #3

Hey man real bummer,did your buddy help pay? I have a duo prop,where can I pick up some tools to take off my props ? Biggy

#8, RE: Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by Accolade on Sep-09-02 at 08:21 AM
In response to message #4

Thanks for the reply:
I've seen them in Newport, but you can use a pair of channel locks if you have a 290. Just peal the tynes back with a srecw driver. If not, you can call Fishing Boats unlimited in Newport.
Good fishing!
Tony

#5, RE: Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by Nomad on Sep-06-02 at 07:36 PM
In response to message #3

Ugh, what a drag!

#6, RE: Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by KnotNow on Sep-08-02 at 01:50 PM

Happened to me also....I hit something that prompted me to pull the boat from the water and check the props. Noticed that the props would not turn freely. Pulled the props and found the same thing...a ball of line that fused with the outer shaft seal and started to pull it out. I caught it before there was water in the outdrive though. After having both shaft seals replaced I ran the boat for 20 hours and then checked the gear oil and everything was A-okay. I ran the boat for 100 hours and then changed gear oil to find a pint of water in the outdrive. DOH! Took it back and they replaced the shaft seals again for no charge.
You also have to watch the crew so that they don't get too close to other boats. Some boats will troll in front of you on purpose just so they can run over the fish before you do...Many times the person driving does not connect it to line getting in the outdrive. I always harp on the people driving, but when I am taking a cat nap, I can't always watch them.

#9, RE: Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by Accolade on Sep-09-02 at 08:24 AM
In response to message #6

Oh!
That's good advice Knot Now. Now it will be even harder for me to sleep while others drive the boat. Ha Ha!
Good fishing!
Tony

#10, RE: Duo Props and Fishing Line: Accolade
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Sep-09-02 at 11:05 AM

Wow, you are strict. I guess that I better revise my post fishing checklist to include the outdrive/fishing line check. Thanks for the good advice.