PDA

View Full Version : bellow maintenance

IRish Wake
07-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Would like your imput on how often you replace the outdrive bellows.I have a AD41P-A290Duraprop that was installed in 2000 as a repower by Don.The repower has < 100 in water and has otherwise been in a shaded area in my drive.The bellows look like new.Volvo advises replacement every other year.What about it?: kevin

NoSlack
07-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Kevin

It sound like you trailer your boat and store it like I do. Around the 3 or 4 year mark I'll start inspecting them a little closer when I do the outdrive service and plan on replacing them at 5 years.

If you put the boat in a slip, it's money well spent to change the drive bellows out when pulling the boat for the yearly major service. The upper gear box needs to come off to replace the drive bellow, so work that in when you plan on changing the outdrive oil.

If you let it go to long and it cracks, your u-joints will get wet and that will at another $20 in parts and a few more bloody knuckels to the job.

The exhaust bellow can be changed with the upper gearbox in place but it's a real pain. This bellows isn't as critical because it always has water inside and out. If I remember correctly it has a hole in it right out of the box to let the water drain out when you tilt the drive up to trailer.

Mike

Malu Lani
07-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I change mine every fall when I pullout for yearly matinance.

IRish Wake
07-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the help Mike & Rob.I had a expensive episode with the prior outdrive due to a cracked bellow that escaped discovery for months,cost~$700(busted gears,etc.).I get the message that its not the end of the world if indeed a leak occurs if addressed promptly. kevin

Knot Now
07-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Don't know If I am the best person to talk to about this, but I built a wood stand to support the outdrive and pull the drive to replace the bellows. If it has not leaked, the outdrive comes of quickly.
Phil