PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Gen-sets

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 08:09 AM
#0, Onboard Gen-sets
Posted by Sleigher on Apr-25-02 at 12:06 PM

Hi, I'm playing with the idea of a permanent generator in my 26 Outerbanks (inboard, diesel)Does anybody have this sort of set-up?
If you do:
What brand?
Where did you mount it?
What does it weigh?
How is it cooled?
How is the noise?
How much?
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, Yanmar 4kw Diesel Generator
Posted by Nomad on Apr-25-02 at 04:57 PM
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-02 AT 04:58 PM (PST)

This is one that caught my interest. Check out the Yanmar 4KW diesel about half way down the page. I have heard that you can get it for $1395 with free shipping. Need to sort out where to store it on board. I think Don likes the portables up on the fly bridge but I'm not sure how that would fit. Anyway the price is right for a diesel generator.
http://www.centralmainediesel.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#4, RE: Yanmar 4kw Diesel Generator
Posted by Professor on Apr-26-02 at 06:10 PM
In response to message #1

Hmmmm…. Power all night, even if the boat is on the trailer, for about 1-˝ gallons of diesel. I like it! Still need to figure out the location of the unit, exhaust and getting fuel from the boat tanks to the generator.
Yale

#5, RE: Yanmar 4kw Diesel Generator
Posted by Nomad on Apr-26-02 at 06:13 PM
In response to message #4

Don was telling me a story about a guy and his 26' billfisher that had the unit outside his galley door. Ran it all night and when it was his turn for a nap he almost killed himself as the fumes were filling the galley for hours. That's why Don would like to see it up on the bridge or anywhere away from the galley door.

#2, RE: Onboard Gen-sets
Posted by GoFishGo on Apr-25-02 at 07:09 PM
In response to message #0

Here's another marine gen-set that is made by Kohler and has an enclosure. Although I don't know the cost.
http://www.kohlerpowersystems.com/general/madie732.html

Brian

#3, RE: Onboard Gen-sets
Posted by Nomad on Apr-26-02 at 07:55 AM
In response to message #2

Nice unit for a permanent installation (better be at 400+ pounds!). Which the portable yanmar came with more protection.

#6, RE: Onboard Gen-sets
Posted by Sleigher on Apr-29-02 at 11:55 AM
In response to message #3

Kubota has a couple of small (2 & 3.5 kw) generators that would be permanently mounted. They also might fit through the engine room hatch. They only weigh about 160 pounds so they are light enough .
The hard part is that they cost around $4000. before install.
At that price I could buy five Honda eui 2000 which are light enoug to set up on the tower.
Someday, maybe when the house is paid off I can move on an onboard. My current unit is a 1500 Generac which is loud, heavy and large. Woes me!
I saw a Billfisher in WON that has a 5KW northern lights on it. If anybody knows the owner maybe we could get some pictures?

#7, RE: Onboard Gen-sets
Posted by Nomad on Apr-30-02 at 07:16 PM
In response to message #6

I saw that one too. Hope I don't regret not getting one on the Nomad..but you know...you have to draw the line somewhere!

#8, RE: Onboard Gen-sets
Posted by Sleigher on May-01-02 at 09:13 AM
In response to message #7

Yeah but, the line keeps getting extended.
With my first boat a guy suggested radar, I thought that was excessive, until I bought it. Then somebody said that I should get auto pilot, that was really excessive, until I installed that.
Did Blackman have a generator option?
I had them send me sales info just out of curiosity but I don't think it mentioned generators.

#9, RE: Onboard Gen-sets
Posted by Nomad on May-05-02 at 03:51 PM
In response to message #8

Don said he can mount a small generator in one of the storage areas adjacent to the engine. Now he has my curiousity up so I have to get a price.