PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Fuel? Outdrive ?

Mac Attack
07-08-2007, 06:37 PM
I noticed this while drifting for hailbut the other day, and now again in the slip. Oil?Fuel? in the water at the outdrive. Guess I won't be able to tell until I haul it out. Funny, can't smell anything, but definately a mini slick. Anybody ever experienced this? Outdrive just serviced, boat ran great last time out.

Mike
26' Blackman Billfisher
41B Volvo Diesel w/duo prop
Marina Del Rey

Wizard
07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Outdrive just serviced

JUST serviced? Sounds like they didn't tighten things up right, like seat the seals (pinched)?

In my business (whatever was recently worked on, is often the reason for trouble)

NoSlack
07-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I'd pull her out of the water ASAP and check the outdrive oil.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Mike's right, get her out of the water fast and check it. I saw the same thing a couple of years ago and the afternoon prior to a tourney I pulled mine for an oil change and at least 60% of my fluid was water, so I was out of commision for a while. Get it before it's too late, pull your props and check for line damage around the seals, the most common problem.

yellowfin1
07-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Like Jeff said...check for fishing line in the shaft seal. This happened to me and I waited until it was too late. I didn't even see any slick. Just a couple small fluid drops in my driveway. By the time I checked it out 3 weeks later it was too late, bearings and gears were rusted out.

If the place which did the maintenance doesn't take care of it because it was fishing line you should check with your insurance company. State Farm replaced my out drive because of fishing line.

Mac Attack
07-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Volvo mech. says we caught it before real damaged occurred. Boat back in the slip. Figures the fish counts are now way down. Looking for a weather window to explore the Osborne bank and fish the traingle area. It's about a 100 mile roundtrip from MDR. Is it worth loading on the trailer and heading south?

Mike
Mac Attack

NoSlack
07-20-2007, 07:27 PM
The 302 to the 371 has kicked out some good counts the past few days.

Mike

yellowfin1
07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
There are fish to be had if you work a little at it. Everybody seems to be metering a lot of fish near the 371. Just gotta stick with them till they go on the chew. You know...right place right time. I was checking out the SST 's in the Osborne Bank area and it sure looks like the albies and bluefin should be in that area by now. How's the fishing been up there?

Scott

Mac Attack
07-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Hit the area about two weeks ago. Water looked prime, trolled everything in the book for nothing. Lots of life, water temp. 63-66, lots of empty paddies. Maybe it's time for a re-visit. Noticed a boat picked up an albie in that area a few days ago, posted on Bloodydecks website. Thinking of heading out Monday. Catalina is hit or miss. A few more seabass and yellows caught this past week. Keep you posted.

Mike
Mac Attack

Mac Attack
07-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Just opened my repair bill for replacing seals in my outdrive. $2012.92. WOW, looks like I will be buying the appropriate tools to do it myself. Looking at the invoice I needed a new Bearing Housing @ $500.00.:confused: Does McDonnell marine carry the tools I need? Looks like I need to put in a few overtime days.

Mike
Mac Attack
26 Blackman Billfisher
Marina del rey

Mac Attack
07-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Looks like insurance Co. is going to deny my claim. Time to start shopping around for a new carrier.

Mike
Mac Attack
26' Blackman Billfisher
Marina del Rey