PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerating the fish holds

KingFish
07-16-2007, 09:00 PM
We are considering a refrigeration system in the Main Fish hold on our 26' billfisher and would like some feed back on the following.

If you have a refrigeration system installed in the main fish hold, How is it setup?

If you do not have a refrigeration system how do you handle/store Ice onboard.

Mark

Al Gagnon
07-17-2007, 04:47 AM
I have a 30 ft Outerbanks and it came with refrigeration coils. It was originaly R-12. I just modified it to R-22. It had refrigeration coils in the bilge area in the cabin. All the fish holds have been insulated. The system was used for commercial Rock Cod fishing. It held about 4,000 pounds of fish. I am guessing it will hold about 1000 lbs plus some. The refrigeration system was really used to help keep the ice from melting. The fish was packed in flacked ice. I just bought a kill bag. 28 by 48 inches. I keep it in the fish hole. Have not had a chance to use it yet. Going to the 302 on saturday, so will give it a try. Have been using a large ice chest, on the deck, but that takes up space. Still modifying the boat from a commercial boat to a pleasure boat. Let me know if you have other questions. Al