PDA

View Full Version : Coronados on 21 July

yellowfin1
07-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Decided to give the tuna a break and look for yellows and halibut. Islands looked real good with a lot of bait everywhere (squid and small choves). Wind was out of the south all day though. Could not get a bait out for more than a minute or two without the dogs getting it. I was one of probably six or eight boats fishing the islands so the dogs were really concentrated. Gave up on the yellows and tried for the flat fish. Wind was out of the S. all day and the drift was messed up. Ended up with only 1 short and 1 big trigger fish. I'm not used to catching trigger fish here but, from what I've seen from other triggerfish caught near LA, this one was huge. Probably only weighed about 2.5 lbs though. Meat looks really translucent. Can't wait to eat it tonight.

iclypso
07-23-2007, 08:27 AM
I've never caught a trigger but have heard they have really tough skin and can quickly dull a knife. Did you have any problems cutting it up? Let us know how it was.

NoSlack
07-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Taist like chicken. Caught a few monsters myself on the Lee side last time down there.

Mike

brian_g
07-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Triggerfish have excellent meat. Great for civiche' because it hold together really well. I don't know if this is an urban legend, but I have been told that people in Baja use the skin for sand paper....

Congrats on the fish.

hijole
07-23-2007, 08:32 PM
I haven't seen any here ever. Today I saw a diver next to the San Clemente peir with 5 big ones.

Ceviche is the only way to go.

yellowfin1
07-24-2007, 05:46 PM
The triggerfish was probably one of the best fish I've eaten. The meat was very mild and white and it held together very good.