PDA

View Full Version : Breaker panels

Honeygirl
07-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Well, since my Kompressor clutch is on back order for 3 weeks. I'm going to do my to-do list that I never get to because I am fishing or the wife has other plans for me. I was wondering if anybody knows where Blackman orders the breaker panels from. I hate the fact that I have to crawl under the vbirth to turn on and off the item's I use all the time. I plan on relocating some of them to within arm's reach when I’m at the helm and want it to look like Blackman did it. Thanks Joe

Wizard
07-24-2007, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't get hung up with Blackman's approach to breaker panels. They look simply like that kind of two-color plastic they use for plastic signs (or did they do something fancier on newer boats?).

There are tons of nice breaker panel options out there on the market that would look nice and be more weatherproof. Oh ya, you drive from inside.. nevermind.. LOL

NoSlack
07-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Joe

I left the breakers in the panel and added some lighted rocker switches to the flybride. I made my own switch panel out of 1/8" plastic and cut out the openings for the switches to snap into.

Like you I only wanted the more commonly use stuff on switches that I could reach from my seat. The bait system breaker goes to 2 switches, one for the pump and one for the bait light. The nav light breaker goes to 2 switches, running light and anchor light. The other 2 switches are for the washdown pump and spreader lights.

It may not look factory but with a little effort on your part, I'm sure you can come up with something that will complement all the other fine work you've done on the boat.

here's the only photo I have that shows the switches. They are mounted below and to the right on the gauges.

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/500/IM000156.JPG

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
07-24-2007, 11:54 PM
The older original breaker panels were made by Al Melone, the canvas guy, believe it or not! The newer models have panels made by one of the newer companies, Blue Star I think but I'll confirm. Available @ SD Marine Exchange.

Did you find out why the drive wouldn't come out of gear?

Knot Now
07-25-2007, 12:13 PM
I was reading posts on KAD43s and came across a suggestion to disconnect the Kompressor on boats that can get up on plan without it. Its one less thing to go wrong and they are very noisy. Have any on those of you with KAD43s run your engine without the Kompressor as its there just to add boost in the lower RPMs?
Phil

DOGHOUSE26
07-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Phil I think you can only do it on the 42s and maybe very early 43s; if it happens on the newer electronic 43s and 44s, damage will occur.

Wizard
07-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I have an On/Off switch on my KAD42 for the Kompressor. I only turn it on for the hole-shot (on plane in 5 seconds), then turn it off the rest of the day. At trolling speeds, it can go on and off all the time.

Big difference not using the Kompressor to get on plane on a KAD42.

Nomad
07-25-2007, 07:12 PM
oh shit, what the hell is a kompressor? Got to update my metric set!

Honeygirl
07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
After calling Blackman and Going around and around I finally got the name of the manufacturer of the breaker panels. (Seaward products). I spoke with the guy in charge of the Blackman account and he is going to make me what I need.

Jeff, As far as my throttle control goes, I could not find any problems in the system. I have checked the fuse and all of the wiring harness. I took the connection apart near the servo and checked it. It is the most susceptible to getting wet and damaged. I let it dry for a day then cleaned and lubed and so far it is working fine.

As for the compressor I ordered the clutch and it is on black order for four weeks. I have talked to two well respected Volvo mechanics in my area and the both said it is a big NO-NO to disconnect or run an on/off switch to the Compressor. The computer controls the amount off fuel needed, with the compressor disconnected it dumps raw fuel into the engine and overloads it witch leads to other issues. When mine started making noise I disconnected the compressor and could not get over 1500 rpm and black exhaust was billowing out the back. Joe

DOGHOUSE26
07-25-2007, 08:57 PM
What year is your 43? Maybe it was just the 42s you could shut the kompressor off, but I thought the 1st/2nd year 43s could do it too, but I'm no Volvo mechanic. As I said before, I know it can't be done on the electronic engines which evidently you have one. Fishing took a dump today so maybe you picked the best time for service!

Honeygirl
07-25-2007, 09:44 PM
I have a KAD300 the generation before the D series came. That sucks about the fishing. The islands have been really good for the YT.

noquestion25
08-01-2007, 10:31 PM
On my KAd 32 I have run without the commpressor for a while. The new clutch is expensive and on back order. I dont believe there is a prob running without the compressor on the mechanically controlled diesels. Anyway I have not shown any issues. no black smoke or lack of economy. Just a thought