PDA

View Full Version : Trim Motor

noquestion25
08-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Having a problem with my trim motor. First it is a KAD32 with a DP drive. all late model 2003. The trim works fine when the boat has not been ran or has been sitting awhile. Example: Ran in from the trench, got to the ramp and trim motor would not work. After 20-30 min of sitting worked fine again. I thought it had to be the relays. They have been replaced, so I assume it is the motor. Any help? And if I need a Motor any ideas of where to pick one up. Has anyone had issues. There is not a big problem with moisture, the relays and wires have been well sealed.

Thannx in advance

Old Blue
08-02-2007, 09:34 PM
But mine is different than yours. Mine is an electric motor driving a gear that actuates a ram that tilts the drive ( no trim - tilt only). I think yours is driving a hydraulic pump.

Mine has an electric overload to protect the motor from overheating thats right in the engine room. Does yours? Is it getting hot during running?

Just a thought.

The motors are pretty easy to find on the net unless you have an old one like mine. McDonnel marine can probably fix you up. They seemed knowledgeable and were very helpful.

DOGHOUSE26
08-02-2007, 10:13 PM
It's easy to do a simple motor check; unplug the black relay harness from the pump motor, you'll see a blue and a green wire coming out of the pump motor to the plug. Remember Blue points to the sky and green points to earth. Using a positive and negative 12 Volt lead from the batteries, apply the positive lead to the wire color which direction you want the drive to move to; (raise up to the sky = Blue and lower to the ground = Green) and connect the other lead to the other wire. If the motor doesn't turn it's the motor and if it does it's wiring, connectors, or relays.