PDA

View Full Version : Tackle center under ladder on the Billfisher

Nomad
08-09-2007, 06:38 PM
I think there is some wasted space under the ladder leading up to the helm that would be great for a small tackle center with drawers that open to the centerline of the boat. I store my trash can there now and I'm sure I could find a spot for that!

Malu Lani
08-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I like it as a large trashcan spot outside.

Professor
08-09-2007, 08:23 PM
I like it as a large trashcan spot outside.

I'm with Malu Lani. 5 gallon bucket cut on one side so it doesn't interfere with the old man going up to the bridge.

yellowfin1
08-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Agree with trash can storage. On some boats it might be a good spot to store life size rubber dolls?

Knot Now
08-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I use the area under the stairs for a trashcan also.

I have been considering a tackle center under the seat which would require changing the hinged portion of the cabin opening to a sliding forward configuration or lift off type.
Did I mention I have already raised my seat 2"?
IMHO raising the seat is the best improvement for the time and $$$.

Wizard
08-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Guys, are you talking about one of these?

http://www.bocapix.com/data/500/Resize_of_Rotation_of_2004-03-07_012.JPG

Malu Lani
08-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Thats clean a deep drawer on the bottom would be nice for rod belts.

Wizard
08-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I rebuilt that tackle center, redoing the wood drawers and replacing the old top with a corian solution, but that is a stock option from Blackman guys. It came with the boat.

Nomad
08-10-2007, 08:41 PM
That's sweet! Is it lockable?

Wizard
08-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Doesn't lock.. guess that could be an issue if on a dock with no one watching your boat 24/7 or full cover to keep eyes from noticing.

scuttlebutt
08-11-2007, 11:17 AM
I raised my seat five inches. Really gives a much better view for paddie searching. Took bench pad into upholstery shop and he changed the padding to a real thick and firm pad. No more sitting on knees looking out. I'm 6' also and still had to do that. Not anymore.

yellowfin1
08-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Now that I see it (Glenn's boat) I like it. Beats having to step down inside the cabin in the middle of a hot bite tracking blood and guts into that area just for a hook or leader.

nelle
08-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Hey charlie,I havebeen thinking about the samething for my boat .I own a cabinet shop in Lakeside and could fabracate these tackle boxes,I would like some input on design and it would be nice if I could build 3-4 units to help keep the cost down,if we could get 3 or 4 people interested to help pay for material I would be willing to donate my time & shop

Curt Shaw
cell 619 981 9246

iclypso
08-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Curt,
Having a 23' Billfisher, I'm always trying to find better ways to utilize the space that I have. I'm not sure if the area under the ladder is the same as the 26' but I'm definitely interested in adding something like this to the boat.

Dan

scuttlebutt
08-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I am interested in putting a tackle box on the starboard side behind the shower/head. Plenty of room and a good place to cut bait. I have a tall cooler strapped there now where we cut bait and store drinks plus another seat. 8 to 12" deep by 3' to 4' would be cool and useful. I have my life ring on the bulkhead behind the ladder. Just a thought. Tried to get Steve to do it but he balked at it.

Nomad
08-15-2007, 08:58 PM
You can put me down if we can design it to be lockable and water resistant (hate to get the gear wet when we wash down the boat!). I know it won't be water proof but will need to be a tight fit to keep indirect water out. Hey Glenn, has that ever been a problem on yours? Let me know what you think the cost might be.

Wizard
08-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Water doesn't get to that area very much. Maybe during wash down, and I just don't spray it hard. It's really a good place for weights, outrigger tackle, drain plugs, rubber bands, etc. Not a good place for hooks and lures, it's outside, even more moisture because it's outside would just rust everything.

Make it entirely out of wood, don't use drawer rail hardware, that would just rust too. I took all the drawers out, West System epoxied the wood on all sides, and epoxy painted them when I redid the wood on the front. The rest is made out of same laminated material as the inside cabinets.

Maybe you could lock it with some kind of bar that slides down in front of all the drawers type idea.