PDA

View Full Version : Bad vibration @ 1800 r.p.m

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 08:15 AM
#0, Bad vibration @ 1800 r.p.m
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Jul-30-03 at 02:12 PM

Noticed a bad vibration at about 1800 r.p.m. I am thinking u-joints in the outdrive. What do you guys think. Anyway I hope Don has time to fit me in. Thanks Mike/Mac Attack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Bad vibration @ 1800 r.p.m
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Jul-30-03 at 08:48 PM
In response to message #0

Mike,
I just went through the same problem. I had new props but must have hit something at night on the way down to the tuna grounds. Easy to check if you have a spare set of props. First raise the drive and visually check the props, you could have found a rock on the ramp while launching. If they look good and you don't have a spare set to try(I would loan you mine but they are at Props SD for a repair) try lowering the drive, running the motor in the slip and turning the steering wheel full turn one side and then the other; if the joints are bad the vibration and noise will get worse from extreme side to side movement. If you don't notice any difference then it could be one of the prop hubs have gone bad or it's something inside the case. When John pulls the lower unit he first looks at the u joints and they are pretty obvious under inspection. I'm sure someone at "the village" has a spare set to lend for testing if you need a set! I should get mine back next week.

Good Luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Bad vibration @ 1800 r.p.m
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Jul-30-03 at 09:54 PM
In response to message #1

Thanks Jeff, yes I do have a spare set onboard. I will give it a try. Thanks Mike

#3, RE: Bad vibration @ 1800 r.p.m
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Aug-02-03 at 01:50 PM
In response to message #2

Yup, its the u-joints. Noise get worse at extreme side to side motion. Hope the fish stay around, John has a lot of boats in for repair now, and it sounds like it may be a while before he can take a look at it. Mike/ Mac/Attack

#4, RE: Bad vibration @ 1800 r.p.m
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Aug-02-03 at 10:20 PM
In response to message #3

Even good u-joints will make a little noise when going side to side however the vibration shouldn't get worse.Did you try the other set of props? Stay on top of John, it's a quick fix and he could do it in a 2-4 hours, you just have to hit him at the right time.

#5, RE: Bad vibration @ 1800 r.p.m
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Aug-03-03 at 08:36 AM
In response to message #4

Changed props, the vibration was still there. Also, maybe unrelated but the motor was getting a little warmer than usual. I replaced the raw water pump,thermostats some hoses and belts and switched coolant to Shell Rotella. As soon as I reach about 3000 r.p.m. the motor starts to warm up to about 190-200 degrees.

Mike/ Mac Attack

#6, RE: Bad vibration @ 1800 r.p.m
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Aug-08-03 at 07:09 AM
In response to message #0

All fixed. Took my boat in at 11:00 am., John replaced my very bad u-joints and I was back in my slip at 2:00 pm. What service.! I have been taking my boat to Grant at Sea and Ski in Costa Mesa, no more, I have found a new mechanic who is acully nice to talk too. Thanks again John.
Mike/ Mac Attack