PDA

View Full Version : TAMD40A - Freeze Plugs

saltwaters
08-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Mike,

I removed and reinstalled my starboard engine's H/E. I now have a coolant leak that I cannot locate the source of. I think it is the o-rings at either the coolant pump, the exhaust manifold or both. I have done this job several times now trying various sealants on the o-rings and brass connectors. A friend who is a long time mechanic helped me reinstall the parts the last time and does not think the o-rings are leaking. we cannot feel a leak coming from this area. I replaced the boot and am sure it is not leaking either.

It still leaks when the motor has been shut down and is leaking into the bilge. There are three small streams coming from the center of the engine. My friend thinks one or more freeze plugs are leaking.

What do you think of this? Are these things easy to replace?

Thanks

Bill

NoSlack
08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
If the heat exchange is the only thing you removed, it's a good bet one of the o-rings on the connecting tubes got pinched.

One more place to look is the weep hole on the coolent pump. That is were I found my mystery leak last time. It showed up after some unrelated work. Must have bumped the pulley hard enough to get the shaft seal to start leaking.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/512/coolingsystem.jpg