PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with Dad 24 August

yellowfin1
08-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi BOCA,
Took dad out Friday in search of whatever we could find. Two miles out of mission bay dad spots a Mako. We had already rigged a rod for this scenario so we were ready (somewhat). The mako instantly ate the sardine and the fight was on. After a half-hearted jump and a couple good runs the fish came to the boat. Unfortunately, I only rigged with a 4' steel leader and tied that straight to 30lb mono. The sharks tail sawed through the mono and it was gone along with 50 needed points. The north 9 was loaded with porpoise and birds as usual but, nobody wanted to eat the marlin lures so continued west. Between the north 9 and the 224 we stopped on at least 25 huge paddies which were loaded with a lot of bait and several had meter marks deep. Could not get anything to bite. Finally, on the north end of the kidney bank another big paddy yields a 14lb (spring scale) dorado for me. Next it's Dad's turn. He likes to use spinning rods and had a 7' rod with 15lb line. Slow trolled Dad by the paddy and the coffee grinder starts singing! I kept coaching Dad to take his time and don't horse the fish. Finally after about 10 minutes and at deep color we could see a beautiful yellowtail. Sunk the gaff and Dad lands a 27lb yellowtail! Made another pass and I got an estimated 22lb fish! We took turns and each pulled 2 big yellowtail and a dorado off of that paddy. The cooler was already full so we left the paddy biting and called out the numbers but, nobody was interested? Trolled north along the ridge for nothing so, we pointed the bow towards LJ. After another 10 huge paddies for nothing and at ten miles off LJ we baited a paddy the size of my house. Four more big yellows came off of that paddy. Two released. Again called out the numbers but, nobody was interested? That was it for the day but, what a day it was for us. Will try again Monday for the mako and marlin.

Later,
Scott

NoSlack
08-25-2007, 08:25 AM
I heard you on the radio around 2pm but couldn't make any contact.

It sounds like you and your dad had a pretty productive day down south. If you're looking for makos on Monday, take a look at the area 5-6 mile on a 280 out of Mission Bay. That area has been loaded with life the past 3 weeks and a little chum slick might pay off big for you up there.

Mike