PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Leak

DOGHOUSE26
08-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Just got back from a 5 day on the AA Saturday, thought I'd stop by the marina and see how my girlfriend was doing. Saw Knot Now Phil in the parking lot and he mentioned Time Out Russ said there was a stong diesel smell coming from my boat cover. I filled up before I left on vacation and I had noticed a diesel smell when I pulled the starboard side access panel to reattach my gaff holders the week before. Phil made the suggestion to pull the port side for access to the filler and vent hoses which might be loose and if there was fuel on the top of the tank it was that or the sender unit gasket. Well the bigger problem I found was diesel fuel outside the tank in the enclosure cell 6" from the top of the tank. Talked to the expert and he says saltwater corrosion from the bait tank probably led to my tank's demise and it's time to order a new one. he said the fuel in the cell wasn't going anywhere (no bilge access drain) so it would we beneficial to burn as much fuel as possible from the tank before removal so I did 1 marlin trip today and have enough fuel for 2 more; provided I can get over that "dirty tugboat" smell the cell emits while sloshing around in the enclosure. 1 week lead time on the tank and a 1 day removal/install on the trailer and I'll be back in business. I'll try to do a pictorial as we go.

yellowfin1
08-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for making the tank swap out sound like no big deal. I keep thinking about it as well. I don't currently have a leak but being a 1984 tank I expect I'll be due soon. Please keep notes on the job including costs and manufacturer. Appreciate that. Good luck on the next couple marlin efforts. Dad and I are going after them Monday AM.

DOGHOUSE26
08-26-2007, 09:34 PM
2 buddies had local action on the PM tide change; 32:35 117.29 130 PM jigbite and drop back bait, snapped off on 20#.

32:43 117:31 jigbite 120 PM, and another feeder seen. Slack was 230 today
water is 69.5 and blue from 12nm offshore, inside turns green and 71.5, fish seem to be on the blue side edge. Fish seem to be lining up kelps and eating the mini macks under them, very little other bait seen.
To the Limit Dan was up off Oside the past 2 days 33:08 117:35 moving north 2-3nm each day, all eyeball fish, no jig bites.

Good Luck

DOGHOUSE26
08-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Stopped by the original builder for Blackman Fuel Tanks, American Tanks off Commercial Street La Mesa; Dan Muslin used them to build new tanks for his Uniflite and I spoke to the owner Vince who does fabulous work. He said about 1 week lead time and when I asked him for a price he just started around $900 and then kept jacking it up until he arrived at $1100. He then called Shirley @ Blackman's to confirm my boat style and then said he needed a 50% deposit before he could start. I wasn't comfortable so I told him I would get back to him, I went down and talked to Shirley and Steve about the tank replacement and Shirley hinted she might be able to get the tank cheaper; I didn't like getting jacked around so I ordered it through Blackman's for the 1100 he quoted me, maybe a little less; I rather see someone I know get the additional cash. I thought those tanks went in the 850-900 range and I probably would have dealt directly with him for $1000, but to jack it up like that was a bad decision on his part so I'd rather give it toShirley. We'll see if I get it in a week or so. I can tell this is going to be a fun project

yellowfin1
08-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Jeff,

I'm not super technically inclined or anything but, can do decent grunt work if you need a hand. I wouldn't mind assisting so that I can see what the job involves. My fuel tank seems to be good but, at 24 years old you never know when things could change.

DOGHOUSE26
08-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks Scott, I'll keep you in mind but I believe one of my construction laborers has his name written all over this one but you're more than welcome to come watch. I'm just not sure when yet, once I have the tank in hand I'll get serious (if the marlin aren't biting of coarse!).

saltwaters
09-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Jeff,

We had to pull the tank on Tunacious when we first bought it due to a fuel leak. Tunacious is inboard powered so the tank is at the rear of the boat. It wasn't foamed in.

All we had to do to pull the tank was,

1. Remove the screws around the deck cover and pull cover
2. Remove the wood the deck cover screwed into
3. Remove fuel lines and wires for sender
4. Pump out remaining fuel
5. Pull tank.

The tank was held in at the rear with a piece of wood overlapping the rear weld so it had a snug fit. There was a lifting ring welded on it. We built a 4-post frame to hoist it up and used to set of pulleys to make it easier. It was snug and hard to pull out but we got it out.

We had the two small holes welded by a guy in Long Beach. He put water in the tank and piped in exhaust fumes from his truck to displace the air in the tank. It's held up for 6 or 7 years.

DOGHOUSE26
09-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the A frame Idea, if i can't get a forklift from the shop I'll have to go that route. The fuel on the outside of the tank has disappeared (hopefully soaked into the form and it's breaking down the adhesion to the tank as we speak). I ordered a new tank as I only want to do this once, it's going to be 1-3 week lead time on the tank so I'm just burning up what's left in the tank on local marlin trips.