PDA

View Full Version : KAD43p/DP or the AD41 DP

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 08:15 AM
#0, KAD43p/DP or the AD41 DP
Posted by tomfish7 on Nov-06-03 at 11:47 AM

NEW MEMBER, WITH BILLFISHER ON ORDER DUE AROUND FEBUARY.
CURRENTLY HAVE AD41 DUO-PROP ORDERED WITH SECOND THOUGHTS OF
CHANGING TO KAD43P/DP. MY MECHANIC GRANT FROM SEA & SKI TELLS
ME I WOULD BE ALOT HAPPIER WITH THE EXTRA HORSE POWER. IT SEEMS
THAT THE AD41 IS A MORE POPULAR ENGINE. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY IMPUT
ON THE TWO ENGINES IN THE BILLFISHER. ANYONE HAVE THE KAD43?
ARE YOU HAPPY WITH IT, ARE THERE REPAIR ISSUES WITH THAT ENGINE
THAT I HAVE NOT HEARD ABOUT.
THANKS
TOM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: KAD43p/DP or the AD41 DP
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Nov-06-03 at 03:10 PM
In response to message #0

Welcome to the board Tom,
Wish I could comment on either engine. I have the AQAD40B and wish I had a few more horses myself. I'm interested to hear about what you decide to go with and get some feedback from you after you've had a chance to run the boat a few times. I would like to upgrade eventually. Congrats on the boat, I think you'll be happy with the Blackman. Do you plan to trailer it or keep it in the water?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: KAD43p/DP or the AD41 DP
Posted by Nomad on Nov-06-03 at 06:01 PM
In response to message #1

Scott -
Did you get my email? If not, you made need to go into the user menu and update your email address. Let me know.

Charlie

#5, RE: KAD43p/DP or the AD41 DP
Posted by tomfish7 on Nov-07-03 at 04:45 PM
In response to message #2

APPRECIATE ALL THE IMPUT. I WAS AT BLACKMANS TODAY TALKED TO DON
REGARDING THE 43. THE ONLY NEGATIVE INFO SO FAR IS THE 43 IS
NOISIER AT LOW SPEED THE BLOWER SHUTS OFF AROUND 1900 RPM SO WHEN
TROLLING IT MAKES MORE NOISE. THE PRICE WAS NOT THAT MUCH MORE.
DECIDED TO GO WITH THE KAD43.
THE BEST NEWS, THEY WILL BE WAXING THE MOLD NEXT WEEK TO START
MY BOAT, NO NAME YET HULL # 360.

ONE MORE QUESTION REGARDING DISC BRAKES OR DRUM BRAKES. BUYING
TRAILRITE TRAILER 12,000 LBS CAPACITY, THE DISC BRAKES ARE
AN OPTION I THINK $300 OR $400 MORE. I HAVE NEVER HAD DISC BRAKES
ON A TRAILER. IS IT WORTH THE EXTRA DOLLARS?
THANKS AGAIN

TOM

#6, RE: KAD43p/DP or the AD41 DP
Posted by moo fish on Nov-08-03 at 09:12 AM
In response to message #5

Disc Brakes??? Better than shoes and drums for any number of reasons. The only question is whether to have the discs on two or three axles....rt on the Moo Fish

#3, RE: KAD43p/DP or the AD41 DP
Posted by Saltwaters on Nov-06-03 at 07:00 PM

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-03 AT 07:01 PM (PST)

Get more horsepower. The boat will get heavier, the bottom will be dirty at times and the engine will slowly wear out. All of these will contribute to a slower boat over time.
Volvo certainly had problems with the supercharged engines in the beginning. That's why the KAD42 was only around for a short time. Became the KAD 43. I have a friend with Volvo 260 hp inboards in a 34 Tollycraft and he has had a lot of problems. I don't think they are enough engine for his boat.

Since you are going with a new boat, have you looked at Volvo's new engine line up? These engines and drives should be better than the 4x series they will eventually replace.

Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine preaches the key to longevity, is to get a larger engine and run it easy. Don't overprop the engine. I have a inboard 240 Yanmar in my 26 Express. It runs great, is propped correctly (I get 200 rpms over manufacturer's rated WOT maximum rpm) which provides 19.5 kts at an easy 3000 rpm cruise. I wish I had another 30 or 40 HP though.

If I was building a I/O powered 26, I'd go with 260 hp. With inboard power, 300 hp.

You can always throttle back if the ride gets too scary.

Bill on Tunacious

#4, RE: KAD43p/DP or the AD41 DP
Posted by Professor on Nov-06-03 at 08:38 PM

Tom,
Welcome to the Blackman boat owners family. I’ve upgraded my February 2003 Billfisher like I had Joan Kroc’s money (do not) but I do not feel like the boat/engine needs more horsepower and I do love the pony’s. While I can get her to go 26 kmph with a moderately heavy load within the recommended rpms, I prefer to run her at 16 to 18 kmph in most seas and the AD 41 does that with ease. If you want to spend more $$$ on the boat I’ve got some great recommendations for you but the Blackman recommended AD 41 engine is a solid power plant that you can feel comfortable with a long way from home. I will be leaving Monday from La Paz for a run back to San Felipe and the AD 41engine is not one of my worries. In fact I’ll probably run down to the Gordo Banks for a couple of days fishing before heading north to San Felipe. Damn I like this boat!

Welcome aboard,

Yale