PDA

View Full Version : Bottom cleaning

firebc
09-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Anybody recommend someone good at cleaning bottoms and outdrives? I've been using Harbour Marine for five years and I'm a little tired of them messing up on the outdrive. Two miles out of Mission Bay I had to clean the intakes because they hadn't. They're not too good at keeping the zincs tight either.

Phil

Malu Lani
09-13-2007, 06:01 PM
I`am on my second cleaning with martys marine srevice.They do a good job but I had to jump on them for not telling me that I had line in my props.I still dive my boat and tune up the water intake .I used to use Omega but he was more expensive but did a good job.I may go back to Omega for ten dollars more .

Rob

scuttlebutt
09-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Try Alpha 1. I hear they do a good job. I am shifting over to them because Calif. Marine services didn't change my outdrive zinc and I had to have the whole outdrive replaced. They did pay for it though after a lot of threats. Most bottom cleaners don't realize there are five zincs to replace on our Blackmans for some reason. The most important one which is easy to see was overlooked. I was gone on vacation when this happened. Should have pulled it out.

firebc
09-14-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check with both.

Nomad
09-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I've been using Marty for a couple of years now. Very dependable.

Knot Now
09-14-2007, 02:55 PM
"Most bottom cleaners don't realize there are five zincs to replace on our Blackmans"
I have six that i know about, am I missing one?
One behind the prop, one on the outdrive housing, one on each of the trim tabs and one each of the supports for the swimstep.
Phil

scuttlebutt
09-19-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't have one behind the prop. How old is your boat?

DOGHOUSE26
09-19-2007, 11:49 PM
I think he means in front of the prop next to the lower unit housing ; refer to as the O ring zinc; every Volvo DP has one.

scuttlebutt
09-20-2007, 07:48 AM
The new D4's don't have one. Couldn't find one and John at Blackman only showed me the five that need to be replaced. I have six but didn't count the one on the back of the engine. Only the one's in the water.

Knot Now
09-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Yes, I mean infront of the prop.
BTW, my boat is a 97, 41P-DP
Phil

scuttlebutt
09-20-2007, 01:14 PM
New D4's do not have that zinc. Just large one on top of outdrive, two on swim step and two on trim tabs plus one on back of engine (screw in type like a bolt). I checked in manual and with Steve to confirm. I'd be in trouble by now if there was supposed to be one.