PDA

View Full Version : you think you have problems

Royal Hook
09-17-2007, 05:35 PM
I got my 23 fishmachine a year and a half ago after she had been sitting around for about 8 yrs. I did lots of mechanical work on her , ie fuel system,filters, pumps and all other soft rubber componets and got her in the water this last fall. I've put about 50 hrs. on her, and up until last month I was really beggining to have a lot of faith in her, when it happened.
Coming out of O,side i throttled up and she clinged and clanked and ultimatley stopped running. Lo and behold a fellow Blackman skipper comes by and tows me in and back at the house I discovered an injector was pushed up about an inch.
I decided to remove the motor expecting the worst.
Yep Mr. piston smacked the injector after a # 5 in. valve had snapped at the stem and imbedded in the top of the piston.
Soooo it's decision time. New vs. re-build and I'm leaning towards the later, due to the fact that the motor did have very low hours on her and I'm thinking that the down time created this problem. I can buy most all the parts needed, liners, pistons ect.but the cyl. head sustained some damage and is quite pricey. She can be wielded but I like to get some other options going.
Through all of this I,m really ganna get to know this motor, cause I,m the type to this stuff myself. Why pay some one else when you think you can do it!!
Has anyone out there been through this and what was your action plan?
I,d like to locate a good re-buildable head?
or maybe just get together and drink.
TAMD41B Mike

Freespool
09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Mike,
Sorry to here that it was not something simple. I have ben wondering what it was since I pulled you in. If you find a good core head and you need a hand rebuilding it let me know. I have all the seat and valve grinding equipment at the house. I just don't have a big selection when it comes to replacing guides.

yellowfin1
09-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Mike,

Tough luck. I don't have any parts or knowledge of this kind of work. Bout the best I can offer is a fishing trip if you are interested. I want to hit it hard this month unfortunately, work is going to prevent that. Hopefully there are some good fish around in Oct!

Good luck with that engine rebuild.

Knot Now
09-18-2007, 02:00 PM
You might try emailing Moo Fish. I think RT has some 41 parts.
Phil

iclypso
09-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey Mike,
Sorry to hear it was the piston that caused all that damage. Hope that book helps out with the rebuild. Give me a call if you need an extra pair of hands one of these weekends.

Dan

Royal Hook
09-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Hey guys thanks for all your help, suggestion and advise. I may take ya up on some of them.
TXS. Mike