PDA

View Full Version : Changing Belts: Altenator stuck?

Import Manager
05-01-2004, 08:19 AM
#0, Changing Belts: Altenator stuck?
Posted by Accolade on Sep-18-03 at 09:06 AM

Hi Guys:
Have not fished too much this year, but plan to go this weekend. I tried to change the belts last nigh and could not. I loosend the first nut, and think? I needed to loosen the nut/bolt that holds it to the engine. That nut and bolt will not move. Is this my problem?
Thank you
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Changing Belts: Altenator stuck?
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Sep-18-03 at 09:47 AM
In response to message #0

Tony,
I have the AQAD40B, and all I have to do to tighten or remove/replace belts is to loosed the tensioner arm bolt. At that point the alternator can swing and allow me to take off belts and replace belts. I know that several of the Volvo alternators/tensioners are set up different. Sorry for not providing pictures, I don't have one of those nifty digital cameras yet. Spent all my money on engine parts. Good luck,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Changing Belts: Altenator stuck?
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Sep-18-03 at 10:39 PM
In response to message #1

Yes, that bolt should be loose. Put some Liquid Wrench on it and get a wrench handle extension for more torque power. Find a piece of pipe to slip over the end of the wrench. I think it's a 19mm but I use a 5/8 on it. I think the alternator is a 13 but I use a 1/2.

#3, RE: Changing Belts: Altenator stuck?
Posted by Accolade on Sep-19-03 at 09:47 AM
In response to message #2

Thanks fellas!
That's great help. Now if the belts go tonight, I can change em out at sea.
Thanks agian!
Tony

#4, RE: Changing Belts: Altenator stuck?
Posted by Sleigher on Sep-19-03 at 12:34 PM
In response to message #3

I'd like to add that you should use the right size socket and a six point at that. If it is stuck at all using the wrong size IE: 5/8 instead of 19mm (no offense please) can strip the hex. Even using the 12 or 9 point socket can make a tough job into an unbearable nighmare. I speak from experience. I had a starter that was being difficult and ended up having to dismantle the entire starter with an air chisel just to get the bolt off.
I wish someone had reminded me what my auto shop teacher taught so long ago before I reached for my cheater bar.
P

#5, RE: Changing Belts: Altenator stuck?
Posted by Accolade on Sep-19-03 at 04:29 PM
In response to message #4

Peter:
Great advice. I had a cheep socket on it and it turned to mush. I stopped befor the hex stript. It's time to buy some real tools! Unfortunately, I'd have to sell the boat to buy Snap On, so I'll look around. I think I have some good sockets in the box at home and will check tonight. Thanks again guy's. Great help!
I'll be on chn.65 Sunday. Should be near the fly if you guy's are out.
Best of luck to all!
Tony