PDA

View Full Version : LED bait light

NoSlack
09-28-2007, 07:27 PM
It's not a million candle power but it should work as a compact bait light you can keep in the boat. Draw just over 1 amp on 12 volts.

I'll test it out on the macs and get some in the water photos this weekend.

Mike

Tested it out this morning. Easies tank of mac I ever made.

32 super bright green LEDs in a 1 1/4" clear tube, potted with casting resin. I put 15' of cord on this one with a float so I can adjust how deep it hang under the boat.
http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/baitlight3.JPG

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/baitlight.jpg

This is what it looked like 5 feet under the boat.
http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/baitlight2.JPG

scuttlebutt
09-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Looks like a lot of work to make bait. I went out friday afternoon and made 12 mac's in less than 15 minutes using cat food. Loaded up with 1 1/2 scoops then went back to my slip and got under way at 4 am. Easy as pie. Caught 1 thresher and one #100 Mako. Spent rest of day looking for Y/F and what ever. Went to 182, 43 then to west Butterfly where the weather was really bad. Headed to the 302 and ended up in middle of pod of whales with Y/F all over. Had whale broach right alongside of boat that rolled me over a bit. Scared hell out of me. Quite a day but 5 to 10 miles west of the 302 is where the action is right now. I have a set of led lights I bought cheap at SQC for making squid at Catalina. They work great.

Honeygirl
10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Looks great mike, cant wait to try one. Let me know what you charge. Joe

fireescape
10-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm with Joe mike .... that looks sweet! Are you going to make and sell them? I wish i had half of your smarts when it comes to this kind of stuff.....zack

NoSlack
10-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Zack

No plans to sell or make money off of them. That would make it like a job and I already have one of those that waists 5 or 6 good days of my week.

I ordered enough material to make 3 and I think they are spoken for. When I get one up to Joe and we get some positive feedback that they work on the squid, I'll order up some more stuff. You'll be top of the list for the second run.

Joe

I'm ready to add the cable, pot it and put the connector on. Do you want alligator clips, cigarette lighter plug or something else on the end? 15 or 20 feet of cable should be fine.

Freespool

Same question on the cable length and plug type.

If one of those guys doesn't answer up, Zack gets first call on the third one.

EDIT: Bad news on the second one. When the resin went off something shorted out and I now have a $30 paper weight. I'll pot the last one tomorrow when I get over being pissed.

Mike

Honeygirl
10-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks Mike. You can leave the end off. I have a plug I use from port supply. I can’t wait to try it. Ill see if I can get a little something extra in your Christmas stocking this year, what’s your drink of choice. Joe

DOGHOUSE26
10-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Joe,

The guy makes canvas boat and reel covers;fabricates stainless parts and welding, makes outdrive repair housecalls;has a full time 5-6 day a week regular job and occasionally gets out and catches big fish. With this new LED lighting invention/distraction, He needs a more stable meth supplier to keep up with this demand !

And I thought I was busy!

Freespool
10-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Mike, Thanks it looks great, I cant wait to try one out. I have plugs on the boat already so if you can leave it blank I will put my owne end on it.
P.S. cable length is OK @ 15'. Also PM me with your contact info, what I owe you and your favorite drink.

NoSlack
10-03-2007, 08:00 PM
When I potted the second and third one I used less catalyst so I would have more time to work with it. That must of been a mistake as both of them shorted out during the longer cure time.

Took the hacksaw to the bad ones and found the shorted segments then coupled the good pieces back together and re-potted the splice.

I now have one good looking one with a 15' cord that Joe has first dibs on, and one that looks like it's been in a train wreck with a 20' cord that I'll keep for myself.

Joe email me noslack@cox.net your address and I'll send it up or you can pick it up when you come south.

Ordering up more stuff so I'll be back in production in a few week.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/IM001652.JPG