PDA

View Full Version : Long ride home under tow

Honeygirl
10-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Headed out too the Cortez on Friday. The plan was to spend 2 1/2 days on the water. The first half offshore and the second half hooping Catalina. We left L.B. at midnight with great conditions no swell or wind buy the time we got to SCI the wind was blowing. We arrived at the Cortez at 6am and the weather was bad very bad. I was under the weather the last few days and it was kicking my butt. First time in a long time I have been sea sick. Then one of the other guys gets sick too. We were 20 miles from the fishing grounds and decided to turn around. We got about 15 miles from SCI. and the low battery alarm goes off. Now we are 5 foot seas and 20knots of wind and my heads in the engine compartment. Not good for the sea sickness. I found the main drive belt was gone just little pieces in the bilge. I went down and got out the new belts I keep just for this reason and find the belt in the package dose not match the label. Now we are dead in the water. We tried for an hour to make something that would work with no luck. Hailed V.A. and 12 hours later we were back at the dock with a huge lesson learned. Joe
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/honeygirl26/CannonPics.jpg

DOGHOUSE26
10-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Glad you made it back safe and that pic says it all!

yellowfin1
10-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Been there done that. Had problems with an alternator late at night in rough seas. Fortunately, some bailing wire temporarily fixed the problem for us. Twelve hours doesn't sound too bad for VA to get out there at night and get you back to the dock. Thanks for the lesson. I will check my backup belts today.

fireescape
10-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Hey Joe next time turn you windshield wiper on before you take the picture. oooooooooh yea Blackman says we don't need them...lol give me a break....

Knot Now
10-01-2007, 12:50 PM
I need to check my spares also...
I tried to go out there Friday Night....Got the 118.40 line before I decided to turn south. Fishing was tough for us. Two YFT about 10 lbs and a Baby Maco.....Would have been a 60 point day, but I didn't take any pictures....LOL
I was sure sore on Sunday.
Phil

Honeygirl
10-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Ya, looks like I need more rain-X, One thing I can say is the V.A. people were excllent. The guy running the tow boat went out of his way to help us. On the way in he made some calls to people he knew to see if he could find a belt for us and even took us to the island to see if there was a way we could get one from the mainland. I tipped him well he put in some long hours.