PDA

View Full Version : Bildge or Macerator pump for Main fish hold

KingFish
10-05-2007, 03:00 PM
The Macerator pump in our fish hold stopped working.
Looking through the records for the boat this is the 3rd Macerator pump that has been installed in the fish hold over the last 5 years. Is anyone else using a Macerator pump and having the same issues? We are debating replacing the Macerator pump with a bilge pump and would like to hear some of your comments on this.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Freespool
10-05-2007, 06:58 PM
I have a bilge pump in mine and it has minor problems every time I use it. Usually it is as simple as turning it off and letting the back wash clean it out but sometimes I have to flush it out with wash down threw the exit hose.

Knot Now
10-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I have a bilge pump in mine and have no problems. The PO removed the friberglass cover and the pump dangles free on a hose with the wires wire tied to the hose. I an using pretinned marine wire with a covering. (looks like romex). I was told that he left it loose, so it is easier to clean out scales.
Phil

Nomad
10-09-2007, 07:36 AM
I replaced the pump twice, not a great design.

DOGHOUSE26
10-09-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm going to have to replace my macerator for the second time, I need to find a way to mount it so it always has water in the pump. The bilge pump system worked great until you threw in albacore, those scales clogged it in no time! Not sure which way I'm leaning towards next time.

hijole
10-10-2007, 09:13 PM
I've replaced mine 3 times. I think it's the 7000 or 5000.
I use a small net used for an aquarium to remove the scales and junk before I turn on the switch.

Professor
10-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Mine has worked perfectly since day one. I just don’t put fish in there. Oh and yes I do occasionally catch a fish or two.

Sleigher1
10-19-2007, 02:57 PM
My bilge style pump only lasted four years. Although it was there when I bought the boat. Then I replaced it and the new one lasted two years then I sold the boat.
The albacore blood and gills clogged it sometimes but the difference in cost and the trouble to convert to a macerator made the occasional cleaning worth it.
After reading the problems associated with the macerator I guess I made the right choice.

P