PDA

View Full Version : Info on zincs needed for Outerbanks 30 ft.

Al Gagnon
10-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I want to slip my boat at a Chula Vista Marina. The boat was on a trailer since built in 1984. What do you guys have on your Blackman boats that are moored in a slip? Talked wqith Mic at West Marine and he gave me a short class on zincs and bottom critters. I will only keep my boat in the water for 2 weeks at a time. Then refuel at a land fuel station, trying to save $$ on fuel. I will purchase a meter of some sort to ck voltages coming into the boat. Anyone have experience with over zincing, under zincing, fouling, stray current form other boats or AC currents, battery charging with non marine battery chargers, power cords hanging in the water via other boats, etc, etc. Thanks for any help in this subject. Al,

Honeygirl
10-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Al I have my boat in the water and am fighting huge zinc problems. My harbor in a little hot and Blackman boats have very poor bonding. I would only use a marine charger or you could cause a fire and be held liable if any other boats were damaged. I would also ask the other boat owners in the area if the have any problems. I fuel my boat in the water. It is always cheaper for me. I have a commercial account and on the water you don’t pay road tax. I assuming your buying diesel

Al Gagnon
10-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Joe, thanks for the reply. I have looked on the Internet, for corrosion test meters, and could only find two sites that talk about testing corrosion. One was a meter that West Marine sells, by Marinco/Guest. It shows three ranges on the face of the meter. It referances three ranges on the meter- Brass/bronze, steel, and I think aluminum. Basically it is showing the green milli volts for each metal. Outside of this range, you need more or less protection. I will continue to study until I feel comfortable with this subject. Then I can relay the info to other boaters.