PDA

View Full Version : Re-power recomendations?

Laura Mei
11-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Hello everybody my name is Charley and I bought Peter's (Sleigher1) 1989 Blackman 26 OuterBanks. I love the boat and Peter took great care of her - I know it killed him to sell it. Anyway, I had a great summer getting to know the boat and went on some great adventures.

The engine is a Volvo TAMD 41A that runs good but I really think that more horsepower would be a big improvement. It is getting kind of tired. So ...........I am kicking around the idea of doing a re-power. I know it will cost a bunch but what the hell.........

Can you guys please recommend a new diesel that will generate around 300 hp and fit in the same space? I really want to keep the deck flat. Also, any guess on how much it will cost all in?

Thanks
Charley

IRish Wake
11-08-2007, 08:17 PM
charly,I repowered my '85 26ft Billfisher that had a 40ADAP/290DP stock engine with 160hp.Blackman replaced it with a 215HP,AD41P-A.The performance is now more then adequate. kevin

noquestion25
11-08-2007, 08:34 PM
D6

Freespool
11-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I have the Yanmar in mine and I don't remember the exact horsepower rating but it is just over or just under 300HP. It does fit under the deck but it rubs on the hatch. Oh yeah the boat is a 26' Billfisher.
The boat does hall ass but I can not run it at full throttle for more than a few seconds. Anything above 35 knots it becomes very unstable.
It does however average 3.6MPG probably because the motor is not working.
I personally love the Yanmar but would stay in the 250HP range and I believe the 4 cylinder motors are in that range now. That is two cylinders to purchase,maintain, and feed.

If you have any questions about any of this PM me for my number.

DOGHOUSE26
11-08-2007, 10:51 PM
The new Volvos are 4 cylinders; I think you can get 260HP in a I/O for about 30K installed which includes complete new helm steering and a computerized monitor system including a FloScan type monitor and bronze counter rotating props. The new Yanmars for shaft drive installs are BMW 6 cylinder blocks which is actually shorter than the Volvo 4 cylinder blocks. Fly by wire throttle and shift controls same as Volvo, I'm not sure of the cost. Call Blackman's they have installed both. Personally I'd stay with the Volvos, one of latest Yanmars they installed in a 29 had bad controls which was hard to troubleshoot at first, now they have a second generation control unit with hopefully less bugs!

Freespool I'm white knuckle driving my Billfisher @ 24 kts, probably mess my pants @ 35!

Freespool
11-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Doghouse26,
Yes it is really scary even when it is flat as glass.
Laura Mei,
Also if you do any slow trolling I don't recommend that much power. Just in gear I am at 5 knots.

Laura Mei
11-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Should I have Blackman re-power? What are advantages of them doing it vs somebody else? Boat is direct drive -- you guys really think 300 hp is too much?

Freespool
11-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Should I have Blackman re-power? What are advantages of them doing it vs somebody else? Boat is direct drive -- you guys really think 300 hp is too much?

Yes 300 is too much.

IRish Wake
11-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I got a competitive bid from Butch at Oceanside Marine.They wanted more then Blackman. kevin

Honeygirl
11-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Charlie, 300 is perfect. I have a 2003 Outer Banks with a KAD300, it's rated at 285 hp. I love the boat and the extra power. I cruise at 24-26 knots at 2.20-2.80gpm depending on the load and weather and top out at 30knotts. I idle at 1.75-2.50knotts. Even if you don't want to do 30knots the extra power is nice to have to get you out of sticky situations like powering down a big pushing swell. I bought the boat used and if I was to buy new I would with out a doubt have a D6 installed. I have two good friends that have similar boats to ours, and they both have a single D6 in them and the are great. Volvo really worked out all the bugs and the new outdrives are bullet proof.

I have seen you at the Cat a few times and your boat looks great. If you want to go for a ride and test drive my boat, I'm in slipped in Long Beach. Shot me an email and we can set something up. Joe

Sleigher1
11-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi Charley,
Nice to hear that you are enjoying the boat.
The D-6 is too big. Weighs a lot more and is just large.
The D-4 will fit but it weighs more as well. You can get more HP, I think it is up to 260 but that might be with extra stuff like a supercharger. If it were me I would not want to go beyond turbo and aftercooler.
I am pretty sure that the Yanmar 6LPA-STP will fit in the box. It puts out max 315 HP with a continuous rating of 255.
Another option is the Cummins/Mercruiser 4.2 EI 250. It will fit and it tops out at 250 HP.
A couple of the guys put the 4 cyl yanmar (240 horse)in a Blackman with direct drive and had excellent results.
You have issues to contend with when going up in HP.
Prop size- you don't have much room to swing a bigger prop but you can add pitch.
Shaft size- you may or may not be able to use the same shaft.
Handling- Being a direct drive it will handle differently than the I/O s like Honeygirl. Of course just because you have the HP doesn't mean you have to use it.
I always wanted to put a Cummins 5.9 in her but it would have been a very tight fit. Mostly length wise.
Anyway you look at it: it will be costly. I chose to simply enjoy my time on the water and not worry so much about getting anywhere fast.
I'm assuming/hoping that the 41A has been good to you and if you are good to it she will last a long time before getting tired. I really think it was one of the best Volvo's of that size. If nothing else just bump it a few hundred more RPMs. If it finally gives up the ghost then the decision to re-power will be a lot easier.
I lost your address but if you'd like all the dimensions for the different motors email me your address and I'll mail you my "re-power" file.
Also, if you do decide to do something you should contact Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine. He does a lot of repowers.

Peter

sharkwaters
11-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Charley. I used a Yanmar 240, 4LHA-STP 5 years ago. My boat is a straight shaft like yours. Unless you want to redo the entire drive line, try to find a 4LHa-STP quick. Boatswain locker may have a few left in stock. Going with 300 hp will require new shaft, strut, prop, exhaust and mounts. Its a job you need to pick the shop carefully. Using the Yanmar, I was able to use the existing shaft, prop and strut. I had to make new mounts and exhaust. I used a muffler to act as a water break which prevents water from running up the exhaust into the turbo. From what I have read, the new BMW/Yanmar is taller than the Yanmar. Height was a close call on my job, but it all worked out. I used a 1.5:1 reduction and 18" X 18" prop. Cruise is 18.5 kts. Russ used a 2.0:1 reduction and gets more at cruise. Using a 2.0:1 reduction will require a 1.5" shaft versus the 1.25" you probally have. Its a lot to ponder. Good luck.
Bob

Laura Mei
11-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks Peter. I appreciate the advice. I will email my address and look forward to your "re-power" file. Thanks
Charley

IRish Wake
11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Charley,is it an Outerbanks or a Billfisher you're doing? Perhaps the outerbnks version can handle 300hp.There's a interesting article in the Oct.Western Outdoors comparing the blackman to 2 other pilot house rigs by Capt.Mark Wisch.If you like,I can fax or mail it to you.The Outer Banks handels differently then Billfisher.Blackman charged me 20,900 for engine with outdrive and installation in Aug.2000.Believe me the 212hp runs the boat to the level of being scary. kevin

Laura Mei
11-13-2007, 04:28 AM
Kevin
My boat is an Outerbanks 26 - direct drive. I did read the article- real interesting. What I hope to gain with a re-power is the ability to cruise at around 18-20 knots on relatively calm seas. Where I live in Long Beach if I can get to Catalina in one hour that is perfect. Anyway I appreciate everyone's advice. Charley

IRish Wake
11-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Charley,real good.Just wanted to know you had the right info,good boating. kevin