PDA

View Full Version : BOCA history...

Nomad
11-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey Scott, thanks for your comments, I'm happy to keep these websites going and appreciate the support from everyone. Maybe some history for folks new to the club. I first learned about Blackmans around 9 or 10 years ago, soon after buying a 26' Seaswirl. I was sitting next to this guy on a flight to Seattle reading a Western Outdoor News and we struck up a conversation about fishing and boats. The guy seemed really knowledgeable about Blackmans and shared why they were such great boats. We had much in common and I soon came to realize that Blackmans had a real cult following. This was my first encounter with my friend Mike Jones of the NoSlack. About a year or so into the Seaswirl, I realized I may have made a mistake. It was the El Nino years (97-98?) and I was catching lots of fish but had no fish hold and was carrying lots of gasoline to make the long runs. So a while later I went to this old garage that was supposed to be a boat builder and met a great guy who knew his boats (Don Blackman). I was so impressed I put the Seaswirl up for sale and ordered the first Nomad, a 26' Billfisher. Well as luck would have it, it would be many months before I took delivery, they had lots of boats going at the time. I went to the shop weekly and spent many an afternoon talking to Don about boats and he loved to share his stories from the past. I began to understand the cult. Well, with months ahead watching the Nomad built ever so slowly I found myself wanting to talk to more Blackman owners about their boats so to pass the time I started BOCA and created the websites and discussion boards and soon after, BOCApix. I quickly learned that there was a huge network of Blackman faithful that were eager to share information about their boats and adventures. The club was born and today we have a faithful core group that have become good friends and are always eager to add new members. Some folks come and go. I've been a Blackman faithful, an alumni (got the big boat jitters) and now back in the saddle with my 26 and happy to be back. My first trip out on this 26 was like slipping on a comfortable old shoe. Sure it has it's quirks but this second time around I just smiled expectantly and throttled up into the head sea and then down as the following sea nudged me along on my way back. I remembered Don's service at sea when the seas kicked up and someone on the VHF complained and Steve said....you must not be in a Blackman! Onboard my boat that day for the service was a guy that was having a new 26 built for himself....as destiny would have it.....his boat turned out to be my current 26 when he sold it to me last August. Mike Jones was right on that flight to Seattle, I've never regretted owning a Blackman. It occurred to me again this past weekend when I was having breakfast at the Red Sails with Russ, Jeff and Marc, all Blackman faithful. Oh...and just to remind you, this is the point where you guys start giving me shit.....

NoSlack
11-26-2007, 10:04 PM
This is how I remember that day 10 years ago.

Some how I volunteered to drive my sister's truck from Seattle to San Diego when they moved back down here. My sister set me up with a ticket to fly up on a Friday morning and it wasn't until I checked in did I realize I was sitting in first class with all the important people. I board the plane early, settle in to my big comfy seat and break out the high brow reading material. A few minutes later I see a sharply dressed businessman coming down the aisle with his briefcase in hand. Sure enough he grabs the seat next to me and goes to work digging stuff out of his briefcase. I'm thinking "oh great, this stiff is going to have reports and spreadsheets strewn all over the place for the next 2 hours". I bury my noise back in my WON magazine for another 20 minutes to finish up reading the rest of the pictures.

Out of the corner of my eye I can see Mr. Businessman working over a chart of some kind. On second look, that chart looks a lot like the one on page 35 in my high brow reading material. Hey is that a Terrafin chart I asked. For the next two hours the conversation was all about boats, fishing and how bad we both wanted to get home early so we could get out and whack the albacore.

We parted way at Sea-Tac airport, Charlie headed off to his meeting and I was off to meet up with a U-haul. Both of our trips went well and we able to hooked up on the radio that Sunday while chasing the fish off San Diego.

DOGHOUSE26
11-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Interesting story, all this time I never knew. I wish you would have said something about it at breakfast Charlie, all these years Russ has been telling us you two met at a transvestite convention in Vegas after a year of cyber dating back and forth; we could have confronted Russ then! I wonder about him sometimes, where does he come up with these stories?

This is a special site, haven't met a person yet that wasn't a top notch sportsman and a good friend as well. I know it's helped me become a better fisherman and just reading other member's reports helps me get through the busy times when I can't get out on the water and has also driven me to get out and try different places and methods which others have had success with. Nothing drives me more now than all Joe's pics with limits of Catalina WSB in the spring; it's a must do next year. Don't even talk about all the improvements and self help repairs and upgrades Mike and Pepe have brought into the club from all their experiences working on their boats. Our tournament requires us to branch out and catch several different species we might not normally pursue which reminds us how fun different fishing methods can be and it gives you confidence to try different areas if your original targeted species for the day won't cooperate and you have a better chance to fill your bag with something.The best part about the site however is the network of real time reports you can get from other members via the night before phone call, which will give you an inside edge of where to go and be in fish the next day thereby saving alot of wasted time and expensive fuel which is taking a bigger chunk of the fun out of boating every day.

The ribbing, backstabbing, and childish pranks are just a small bonus !

yellowfin1
11-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Ahhh memories, trials and tribulations, and reflections. Can someone give me a tissue?

I like the club too. It's always nice to ask for a radio check and get the friendly knowledgable response of a Blackman owner on the other end. Only exception is when I get response from Mike or Jeff. Then I have to start worrying that they are out scoring mega points. Oh ya, now I have to worry about Zack and Joe too. Oh the stress!

Nomad
11-27-2007, 05:05 PM
You should know that Russ is delusional and spends his spare time winding tiny pieces of thread onto a graphite shaft in complicated and intricate patterns. While in this state his mind wanders into a fantasy world and at time it's hard for him to distinguish between the real world and this alter world. He often imagines himself to be a highline skipper with a brooding sidekick that abuses him relentlessly.

Time Out
11-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Well

Bloody decks here I come at least Transvestites are welcome over there.

Russ

DOGHOUSE26
11-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Well

Bloody decks here I come at least Transvestites are welcome over there.

Russ

No Kidding, their favorite quote is "Thanks for the Reach Around"

Nomad
11-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Damn, I hope you don't wear a skirt climbing up to the bridge, I don't think my delicate constitution can handle it. Oh and yea, I heard the guy's at Bloodydecks are a liberal group that would really welcome you (with open arms and a fillet knife)...

hijole
11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
About 27 years ago I would go "deep sea fishing" with a friend (Tony Pena) in his 26' open console. Deep sea was halibut fishing on the TJ flats. Tony had several IGFA records for halibut from the flats. I was afraid to take my 16' boat out of the bay so I really thought it was a treat to go to TJ, by water. His boat had a bait tank and he had 12 waypoints on his LORAN. I was really impressed. On every trip Tony would drive up to Don and Shirley and share secret spots out on the flats. I didn't understand much of the lingo then but I really liked their boat. Shirley had recently caught a world record halibut there which really impressed me. Tony was taking some of the credit because he said he had given them some live mackerel for bait for her big fish. I didn't believe then that a halibut would eat a mackerel so I thought I was duped by these fish talking guys. When we would come back home I can remember freezing in the back of the open console in the summer with water coming into the boat on calm days while Tony and wife were up on the tower high and dry. I would keep staring at Don and Shirley wondering what it would be like to be in that dry little-big boat.
When I ordered the Hijole Don was either a good salesman or a bad one. Everything I asked for he would tell me that I didn't need it. He kept referring to their boat that didn't have much and that they just worried about going out fishing. Don kept telling me to keep it simple and not to make things complicated. The simpler the better.
After 19 years this December I have probably done most things wrong at least once but I have really learned a lot from this web site and from my own trial and error.
I think my best screw-up was using anti-seize on the props. In saltwater it turned to cement and I had to use an air chisel to cut the props off. Not knowing what happened I used more anti-seize on the next set of props. I even bought a new gun to chisel that set off. Don then told me to keep it simple. He said just use a tube of cheap axle/bearing grease. It worked.
I really appreciate the pictures Mike adds to the repairs and the ideas that are shared to maintain everything on the boat. I still can’t figure out how to send the pictures.
I think the tournament rules are really innovative and challenging. I wonder if BOCCA members know what the discussion is like when the rules of the tournament have been established. The dialog is very professional (except for the bad words, I understand those). Everyone gets to share his point of view without the by-laws and Roberts Rules of Order. I’ve been present at several BBQ’s when the rules have been discussed so I know most fishing club boards would be envious of the process and fairness for everyone who wants to participate.
I can’t believe the fish some of you guys catch, like those WSB and lobster.
I would like to hear of more screw-ups like mine. I don't think mine can be matched at $500 for a set of props.
Good news. Same engine, same OD, same trailer, same tires and about almost 3 GPH. Some times I can’t keep up with the technical crap you guys talk about but it sounds good.
Keep the stories coming but keep it simple.