PDA

View Full Version : fire extinguishers

monkutare
12-21-2007, 09:57 AM
I have the small halon fire extinguishers in my engine compartments that are original to my boat, 1991 Billfisher with twin Volvo diesels. What do you guys have in your engine compartments? How often do you have them serviced?

Also, where do you have them serviced in San Diego.

Are there any other types of fire extinguishers that can be used?

thanks

NoSlack
12-21-2007, 01:02 PM
CO2 would be a good replacement for the halon in an unmanned space. About 10 years ago halon went up about 2000% in cost and everone went away from it. I still have the original halon bottle in my engine compartment and the only service is to wiegh it to see if it is full. You need to know what the empty wieght was and what it weight when filled.

When I bought the boat back in the early 90's I had Fire Master check it out and give me the full/empty wieghts for my bottle.

I believe we still use Fire Master (now called Simplex Grinnell) at work to service all of our bottles. 3568 Ruffin Rd S. in S.D. 858 633-9100

Mike

EDIT: Check out this site
http://www.sea-fire.com/Sea-Fire%20%20FM-200%20%20FG%20&%20FD%20Series%20Specification.pdf
These guy are using a chemical called Heptafluoropropane. It looks like the new generation on fire chemicals won't stall out a diesel engine so they recommend a shutdown switch be added to the fire system.

Another site to check http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/engine-shutdown.htm

◊ FE-241 (Chlorotetrafluoroethane) which is approved for unoccupied spaces such as engine rooms and is approved for use in the United States.

◊ HFC-227ea (Heptafluoropropane) which is approved for occupied spaces and is approved for use in Europe.

Both are considered to be suitable Halon replacement agents under the EPA’s SNAP program. HFC-227ea is manufactured by DuPont as FE-227™ and by Great Lakes Chemical as FM-200®.

monkutare
12-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the info.

How often do you have them checked?

A friend of mine took them to AirGas on Clairmont Mesa 2-3 years ago but the tag they put on them said just what you wrote above. They were just checked for weight.

NoSlack
12-22-2007, 01:29 PM
If you know what your full wieght is, weight it once a year with your fish scale and you're good.

Mike