PDA

View Full Version : Mexican boat permits

NoSlack
01-08-2008, 04:37 PM
A buddy called down to the Department of Fisheries office (Oficina de Pesca) this week for the current prices and they told him if he didn't need a boat permit this week, hold off because there was some talk about doing away with them.

I also heard through another source that they wanted to break the coast up into zones, and you would need a permit for each zone you plan on fishing in.

Bottom line is, if you can hold off a few weeks on the new permits, you might save yourself some money.

Mike

Freespool
01-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks Mike I was going to pickup my new one tomorrow. I guess I will wait until the last minute and see if it changes.

hijole
01-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Can't believe they would charge less. Don't forget to call Jay at Squidco (I believe it's CVS) sometimes he charges what he paid and if he hasn't sold any recently they are cheaper there than at Pesca.
Also, it's a good practice to start to keep the Passport on board and remind friends to bring them along.

scuttlebutt
01-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I just bought mine at Pesca and they didn't say anything about doing away with them. Remember that you have to go to Pesca if your boat is documented. Hope I didn't waste my money but had to have one as I will be hitting the area south of south island for codding next week.

NoSlack
01-09-2008, 06:46 PM
In my case, my permits are good until July, so something should be decided by then.

If you need to head south in the near future and don't have permits, it's better to have get one and not need it than not get one and get checked. I've never been in a Mexican prison but I do know I'd gladly pay $80 up front to skip the experience.

Mike

LABRISA DEL MAR
01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Mike, what about a Passport?

NoSlack
01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
You can read up on at the Homeland Security site http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1182350422171.shtm

The way I read it on Jan 31, 2008 (end of the month) you need a government photo ID and a proof of citizenship (drivers license and birth certificate) and by summer they hope to have the full passport deal in effect.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
01-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the reminders!

Freespool
01-10-2008, 12:23 AM
I just bought mine at Pesca and they didn't say anything about doing away with them. Remember that you have to go to Pesca if your boat is documented. Hope I didn't waste my money but had to have one as I will be hitting the area south of south island for codding next week.
Is there a special reason to go to Pesca? I got my last one at Dana Landing and my boat is documented? The only issue was the line for the CF# I just put the document number down. Am I still legal?

DOGHOUSE26
01-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Is there a special reason to go to Pesca? I got my last one at Dana Landing and my boat is documented? The only issue was the line for the CF# I just put the document number down. Am I still legal?

OOPS! I wouldn't want to take a chance on it, because if you ever get really checked by their Navy it's something you'll worry about while they are on board, you'll look nervous, and they will think something is going on. Then hook up the tow line to Ensenada and get ready to pay a HUGE ransom to get your boat back. It's not worth it!

Freespool
01-10-2008, 05:32 PM
I will go there next time unless they do away with them. It would defiantly be cheeper too. I only have about 2 months left any way.

hijole
01-11-2008, 09:21 PM
I needed mine in April of 07 and went to the regular tackle shops after work, Fishermans and Squidco in Point Loma and they could not sell me one because he Hijole is documented. They said they would not be able to sell them anymore and that I had to go to Pesca. They didn't know the reason.
I fogot that on my first post about Squidco, I guess that was last year.
If anyone doesn't know, you have to take a money order or cashiers check to Pesca. They can be purchased at 7-11 for $1.00.
I think we have to make it a must to carry the passport now otherwise we will forget. It now stays on the Hijole. We have to make sure we have all papers current on board. Our boats are easy to like if they want one and if we don't have everthing legal.
If we step foot on land at El Corral or Ensenada I'm not sure what the U.S. allows us to have on board when we return since the rules to bring things back change here also on fruits, vegetables, booze and meat.
When driving across (by car) make sure your car papers are up to date, registration, insurance. They/we can make your day a bad one if we don't.

scuttlebutt
01-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Hard to believe they actually gave you a permit if you are doc. You may have got someone behind the counter who doesn't know any better. I just had my boat inspected by the USCG Aux. which by the way took 2 hours and 40 min. for the reason of getting the USCG to stop stopping me for safety inspections. I have a sticker now which I bring to there attention when they pull up. Been stopped 3 times last year. Anyway the inspector said Mex boat permits have to be acquired from the Mex consulate (Pesca) for Documented boats. That goes with what bait and tackle stores tell you and Steve Blackman also told me that. I have a fishing friend who has a 35 ft sport fisher and he has to go down there to. I tried getting them from H&M landing and they said no only CF boats. Better check on that or you may be illegal down there.

hijole
01-13-2008, 07:57 PM
As of April of 2007 I was told to go to Pesca. The previous year I could still buy it at the tackle shops.
What do people up the coast do that aren't close to San Diego?

I've heard they can get them if the info is mailed to thier office or they have to time driving down and make it before they close.

NoSlack
01-18-2008, 10:53 AM
My buddy went down and bought his permit today (1/18/2008) and you no longer need a boat permit. You guys that are documented need to make a call and see if that applies to you as well.

Mike

firebc
01-20-2008, 10:54 AM
I've been able to get my boat permits (documented) from Donna Jenkins. Has that changed?

Phl

scuttlebutt
01-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Who is Donna Jenkins? I am going to be around that part of town so I will stop by the Pesca tomorrow and get the straight scoop.

firebc
01-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Dona Jenkins is a company located on Rosecans near Shelter Island Dr. The website is: www.donajenkins.com. Phone is 619-223-2279. They may be open tomorrow. I'd give them a call. I've used them since 2003.

Good luck,

Phil

NoSlack
01-20-2008, 04:25 PM
My buddy told me the new permit form says "boat permits not required for boats sportfishing in Mexican waters". I take that to mean CF# and documented boats.

If anyone gets by there in the next few days, pick up one of the new form and scan it so we can get it up on the site for everyone to read.

Mike

Professor
01-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Mike

I emailed you the new form. It's on the Pesca web site. Clear as a bell, no boat permit.

NoSlack
01-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Click here to see it http://members.cox.net/noslack/mexform.pdf

scuttlebutt
01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Went down to Conapesca yesterday to see if I could get a partial refund on my boat permit I bought in November. They said no provision was made on that. They were caught off guard and only had less than two weeks notice it was coming. The reason it happened is to promote tourism. Especially after the bad media on the robberies and killings along Baja. He said to keep your current paper work as it will take a month or two to get the word down the chain of command in the outlying areas. Another thing they are going to do is work something out on the paper work involved in heading south to Mex ports. Sometimes it takes all day to get the proper stamps to clear you into and out of Mexican ports. I talked to one of the customs guys and he said they don't care about fisherman. They are looking for drugs and illegals that they get tips on coming up from the south.

fireescape
01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
hey guys, I have reading along with this thread....very interesting! have owned my boat now for 6 years and is documented. i have always bought my boat permit from the tackle store, without any problems! I have purchased them from three different stores. If I had been boarded, am I reading that I would not have been legal? If so..... that would of been very bad!

OK.... so am i getting that we don't even need a boat permit this year? I still have a couple of months left on existing, but will be nice to know prior to the night before, which always seems to come into play.
I have dealt with Donna J with the original documentation and was very helpful. if you guys were unable to contact her for some of those answers let me know and i will give her a ring.
Thanks for a the info... Learn something everyday.....ZACK