PDA

View Full Version : Customs Check in

NoSlack
01-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I was reading up on the reporting requirement at the Homeland Security site and found this interesting bit of info.

Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pleasure_boats/boats/pleasure_boat_overview.xml

Mike

firebc
01-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Mike, Do you think this applies just to sportfishing boats or might it include private boaters too?

Phil

NoSlack
01-21-2008, 05:00 PM
That statement come right out of the Pleasure Boat Reporting Requirements. The way I see it, I'm operating a pleasure boat engaged in sportfishing and won't need to check in.

I printed the page out and plan on cornering one of the Home Land Security guy as soon as possible to get their take on it.

Mike

scuttlebutt
01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
I have a slip at MCRD where the customs boats tie up. I will ask one of them about this subject. I printed out the page we are concerned about and see what they say. Also the USCG have four boats tied up there also. Would be interesting to see what they say about this whole thing. Conapesca was closed today. I just wanted to confirm the form they have out as being a correct form and just to find out why they did that but more importantly to see if I can get a refund of the unused portion of the permit I just bought last month. Fat chance of that but won't hurt to ask. Things are looking up for 2008 so far if all this is true. Now all we need is a good pelagic fishing season and good weather. By the way, Happy New Year to everybody.

NoSlack
01-22-2008, 06:20 AM
Hi Tim

When did you move from Anit sub to MCRD? I work at the power plant 200yard to the south and haven't noticed a blackman in a slip. i'll give it a closer look when I go by today.

Mike

scuttlebutt
01-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Moved last Nov. In an outside slip on west end in the middle near the Coasties. Have 35 ft trawler with blue tarp on it next to me. Sure is a quiet spot as far as seas go. Not for airplanes though. Have to wash down boat each week to keep the black jet fuel residue off. Lots of amenities there with ramp, dry storage and boat/car wash available. My boat got beat up to bad at the asw base. Nobody paid attention to the no wake zone thru there.

DOGHOUSE26
01-22-2008, 07:26 AM
"Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States"

The law has always read this way however Customs has gone back to a landmark ruling from the 1915-1925 era where the government was after a rum runner who met another vessel offshore then did not check in while smuggling rum; so unless you stay in American or International waters the entire length of your trip or never come close to another vessel or pass over the other vessel's path of travel while in foreign waters you would be ok. It doesn't define a minmum distance to be kept from other vessels and you're going to cross another vessel's path at some point so they have you one way or another. It's a fine line interpretation brought about by 9-1-1 and who has enough time, energy, or money to fight the government. The simplest thing to do is stay more than 12nm off the Islands and mainland or go check in. Six Pack Vessels and other commercial vessels are exempt because they keep a daily log and passenger manifest

scuttlebutt
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
That is interesting but who follows 1915 (rules) in this day and age. Right now hardly anybody checks in anyway. If you try, there usually is nobody there and or there are 2 or 3 boats sitting there wasting time. I will rehash this with the customs guys when I see them at there boats. Usually on the weekend.

Capt Art
01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
I tried to open my article with my user name and correct password. Any ideas on what has gone wrong?

: