PDA

View Full Version : 24 ft. Skipjack re- power

Al Gagnon
01-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Posted a question on Bloodydecks and did not get much help. Looking to repower my sons 24 ft. skipjack. Was looking at a volvo v-6 chevy with volvo 280 or 290 hp outdrive. Would a straight 6 be ok. 25 mph is enough but I think my son wants as much as he can get when weather is right. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Al

NoSlack
01-27-2008, 09:17 AM
My buddy has the chevy 350 V8 in his and he runs it around 24 knots and kicks it up to 28 when the weather is nice. A 6 cyl might be a little light for that boat.

Mike

Honeygirl
01-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Al, I did a complete re-do on a 20 Skippy before I bought my Blackman. My buddy just finished a 24 so I have a lot of background in skipjacks. I put a Marine Power EFI350 with a 290dp in it. I cruised at 28kts and topped out at 35-39knts the boat is a lot lighter than a 24 and the engine had more horse power than most marine 350's. If I were you I would give Zack (fireescape) a call he is selling a diesel and out drive package that would be perfect for that boat. You are going to spend about the same for both and the safety and reliability of the diesel far out weighs the gas motor.

Al Gagnon
01-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Joe, sent Zack a pm. I dont think I gor a reply with his name. I have sent out and looked at stuff on craigs list, Bloodydecks and BOCA. Lot of stuff out there. I would prefer getting something that has a history. Most people selling stuff say they do not know anything about the hours. Makes me a little nervous. Talked to guys that have been around the waterfront and say about $3000 to $4000 for a complete used power train. Some with very little hours and clean. I need to keep looking and waiting and have the money to buy on a few hours notice. That is how to get the good deals. Thanks for your help. I mainly was asking around with people that have put various engines in their Skipjacks to hear about the pros and cons. Each manufactured boat can act different with a similar engine. I live in San Diego, Does Zack live in Long Beach?
Al

Honeygirl
01-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Al, Zack lives in Carlsbad, His boat is in S.D. He is well known on this board and a heads up guy. He is on this board a lot. He is most likely out of town. I talk to him about once a week. I will give him a call this week and let him know whats up. I spent 4500 on the package for my skippy and then at least another 1500 on it doing the little stuff. I will let you know if I hear something. Joe