PDA

View Full Version : Inverter??

Freespool
02-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I was thinking of installing a 3000 watt inverter and two 6 volt golf cart batteries in addition to the the four 12 volts. I have never used one on a boat are there any draw backs to this set-up? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am currently running a 1000 watt Honda and altho it is pretty quiet it would be nice to have silence.

Wizard
02-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Basic lessons I've learned in installing any inverter, use the largest gauge cables from batteries to inverter you can make work, and mount inverter someplace as close as possible to the batteries to keep those cables as short as possible (always a catch-22 on a boat, finding dry location yet providing air flow for the fan). The current loss with small cables or distance is significant. And don't forget a fuse block on the positive input cable.

Freespool
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks Glenn, I need all the advice I can get on this one. Is the storage box that the batteries are in dry enough? Mine don't seem to have the problems with water intrusion that most do.

Wizard
02-03-2008, 07:35 PM
My inverter is in the other lazzarette/storage box.. mostly dry, and drives my microwave and squid lights. wish it was in dryer area.. but has done ok for 3 years. I switched to 6 volt dry cells 2 yeas ago... helps.

Honeygirl
02-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Mine is mounted in the compartment in the stearn above the engine compartment. It was very hard on the batteries and would drain them if the boat wasn't running if someone wanted to use something like the microwave. After one season of use it fried. I'm sure it was due to moisture build up. I am also going to switch to golf cart batteries but not going to replace the inverter. Batteries are to expensive to replace every few seasons. Joe

Malu Lani
02-03-2008, 08:47 PM
My inverter is kept dry with the blackman waterproff kit.The kit is a square of waterproff fabric that hangs over the inverter.It is held there with the two upper inverter mounting scerw it works great.