PDA

View Full Version : radar arch

brian_g
02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Can someone tell me why the radar unit on some Blackman Billfishers is mounted on a radar arch above (slightly behind) the flybridge while on others it is mounted on the front of the flybridge?

Thanks!

DOGHOUSE26
02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
If you don't have a fold down arch, you would need to put it up front since it would be too tall on the arch and get knocked off on a low bridge while trailering. Some guys preferred it upfront since it was hard to get the right angle on the arch mounted unit while underway to get a good horizion shot. Mine is up front and if I had the choice I would rather have it arch mounted. in big swells I get alot of false readings. And my nuts are now sterile.

brian_g
02-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

hijole
02-06-2008, 06:18 PM
The adjustable arch is more expensive. I don't know but I wonder if people can comment on the shaking while driving when the arch is resting on the tank. I have the front mount and the only issue is that you have 270 view instead of 360. I haven't been interested in what is behind but maybe it's important.
Don't blame the radar for the nuts otherwise you would have sterile brains.

DOGHOUSE26
02-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Is that why I get Headaches in the fog?

Time Out
02-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Just my two cents

Because we are not the fastest boat in the water I like knowing when a boat is overtaking me in the middle of the night. It happens alot in the summer some of these Parker guys run at 30 knot and cant see anything in front of them from inside that cabin.

Just my point of view

And thats not what happened to your nuts Jeff
That fog you see is weard we never see it at the same time you do :confused: :confused:

Russ

DOGHOUSE26
02-07-2008, 09:27 PM
You T.O. Twins would see alot more if you come out of the cabin and quit playing Reach Around all day! :p

Knot Now
02-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Just my two cents

Because we are not the fastest boat in the water I like knowing when a boat is overtaking me in the middle of the night. It happens alot in the summer some of these Parker guys run at 30 knot and cant see anything in front of them from inside that cabin.

Russ

I might use a little more speed :rolleyes: , but I always run my deck light, hopefully for better visibility.

I find there is no problem with my arch shaking while running and I have raised the mounting point of my arch about 8"-12".

Phil

brian_g
02-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks again for all the info/comments.

We are still looking for a Billfisher and this is one of the easier cosmetic differences (for my uninformed eye) between the pre-90's and post 90' boats we have looked at. I wondered about the reduced window of sight with the front mounted radar.

I'm hoping Blackman will be at the Fred Hall!!!!!!! That's pretty much the main reason my Dad and I go.:D