PDA

View Full Version : Bottom and outdrive Paint

Mac Attack
02-11-2008, 07:28 AM
It's time to paint again this year. Last time I had the boat hauled and had the outdrive painted at a local boat yard. $$$$$ I am going to try it myself this year. Any recommendations or tips? What bottom paint do you use, mine has flaked off to gel coat, do I need to strip and re-apply barrier coat? Boat is slipped, but I will put it back on the trailer and do the work myself. Can I use 12 ton bottle jacks and cribbing, as I do not have boat jacks.

Thanks
Mike
26' Blackman Billfisher
Marina Del Rey

Knot Now
02-11-2008, 08:00 AM
I have used a wooded truss with cribing at the stern and cribing in the front and midship with very good luck.
Phil

Malu Lani
02-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I use Interlux prop and drive paint it lasts about six months untill the worm coral shows up as far as the props I'am still looking for the right paint.When you paint the drive make sure you don't paint under the zinc surfaces.

Wizard
02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I have yet to find outdrive paint that will last a season, nor any prop paint that will even stick long enough to do any good.. unfortunate.

DOGHOUSE26
02-11-2008, 08:00 PM
I have yet to find outdrive paint that will last a season, nor any prop paint that will even stick long enough to do any good.. unfortunate.

Ditto!

hijole
02-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Use the tiny rollers with a long handle. You won't have to lift it high above the bunks.
You can buy the paint we are not supposed to use here in AZ for the OD. The West Marine has it there. I guess it's ok to use in lakes where they drink the water but not in CA for the ocean. (The best paint is in Ensenada or if you have a friend in the Navy)
I had a problem rubbing the paint off under the bunks when I pulled the boat off the trailer. The diver left me a message that I had 4 long lines without paint. The next time I cut some thin plastic strips and laid it on the bunks before setting the boat down. I tacked it on with some bullitin board pins so it wouldn't float away.
I also found it easier to let the air out of the tires on the trailer.

pumphouse
02-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Mike, guess you dont have to worry about that project anymore.:D Again congrats on the sale

-Clayton aka 2crazy2

Mac Attack
02-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Clayton:

The gentleman who is buying my boat in from Westport Washington. He is going to tow it home Monday

Mike

pumphouse
02-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Clayton:

The gentleman who is buying my boat in from Westport Washington. He is going to tow it home Monday

Mike

Wow Mike, all the way from Washington? What are his plans for the old girl? Does she know how to catch a salmon?:D