PDA

View Full Version : Volvo outdrive for a 351 Ford Windsor

Al Gagnon
02-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Does anyone have or has anyone seen a setup with a 351 Ford windsor engine attached to a volvo outdrive? Working on repairing my sons 24 ft. skipjack. Was looking at replacing the engine but rebuilt the carb and got the engine to idle. Compression was all above 155 lbs. Just got a new compression gauge and began to think the gauge was wacko from the shelf. Most cylinders 160-165 with only two at about 158, all within 10%. May try to use the engine and install a different drive unit. The one on the boat is a OMC electric shift. Hear that I needed 6 to 9 ohms per solonoid but reads out at about 0 to one ohm. direct short to ground. Rather not spend money on replacing the OMC outdrive or trying to rebuild it. I donot trust that rubber boot. If it fails, it would not take too long to sink a boat. I need to know what it takes to bolt a volvo 280 or 290 volvo outdrive to a ford 351 windsor engine. I heard that Volvo makes a adapter plate transom cover for the OMC hole in the transom. Any thought on what is out their?? Al

Honeygirl
02-19-2008, 02:29 PM
It takes a lot of WORK! I did it on my Skippy. You have to re-glass the transom and cut a new hole. The guy before me used a 1/2 inch piece of aluminum with a lot of 5200 instead of re-glassing. I fished the boat for 5years with no problems before I went crazy and rebuilt the hole boat from the ground up. I invested 20grand and sold it for 11g's Boy was I dumb:D