PDA

View Full Version : Cat Island 2-17-2008

sharkwaters
02-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Took TUNACIOUS to Cat on Sat @ 12:30. Arrived at Silver Cyn 2:15. nice ride over. Got a tank full of squirts from Squidalot. Fished Orange rock for a big bite that I lost in the kelp on 40 lb. No more bites after that one. Went way west and hooped #2 spot for 1 bug. Went to #1 spot for quick limits of bugs. 4 were 3-4 lbs each. Went back to Silver cyn to wait out the gray bite. Saw Honeygirl and another Outerbanks on the hook. Heard of one fish caught on the squid grounds. Fished a lot of beaches west to Ben Weston. No seabass for us. Home in DP by 3:30. Used 67 gallons of diesel, 158 miles. Flat calm conditions. Only drank 3/4 case of beer. It was a nice weekend.

Bob

NoSlack
02-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Looks like things are getting ready to pop at the island.

One of my options for making a trip up that way would be towing to DP and running from there. If I remember correctly, you pay to get into the ramp lot and that buys you a parking spot. Can I leave the truck and trailer in the lot a couple night for the price of entering the ramp lot?

Are you taking fin bait from DP and picking up the squid when you get to the island?

Mike

Wizard
02-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Mike.. just go with me on the 26 in April/May/June.. it's a good easy ride to Cat from here, easier then paying for parking, towing in traffic, etc.

Honeygirl
02-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Bob, saw you drive by. Did you try to hail me? I might of had the radio turned down. I'm getting a real bad buzz from the bait pump. Some Jackass dropped his hook right where you drove by when you circled around. He was so close we could hear his conversation. We left there early and it paid off.

NoSlack
02-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Glenn

That would be great to ride over with someone that's been there a few time.
Zack and I talked about going over also. For me that area is uncharted territory and the more things I can learn for someone that's been there the better.

April and May are real bad months at work so getting off work when the fish are biting will be tough. Week day may be less of a problem than the weekends.

Mike

sharkwaters
02-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Honeygirl.
We tried you on 72, but no answer. We tried to meter around your spot and did not want to drop too close and moved on. We had a good meter mark inside and tried it for a while, no love. We moved west toward shark harbor but we not able to fish the entire day and left about 1:30. No Ghost for us. Did you guys get a seabass?

The Dana Point launch ramp is, the entry gets you one day. Go to the office and pay for extra days. I have not launched there for 7 years, but they used to have a guard that would take the extra days fee.

Bob

NoSlack
02-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Thank's for the info Bob. In my little 23', an extra 45 minutes in the truck is trade for shaving 1 1/2 hours off my water travel time.

Mike

Al Gagnon
02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Would like to make a trip from SD to Santa Catalina Island. Try everything, anchor, stay a few days, fish the various spots, etc. Tired of always going to Coronado for a overnighter. I only have a porta pottie , 2000 watt generator, etc. Any restrictions for boat size, toilets, bilge etc? Getting adventuress. Next I would like to go toward San Quentin. I would like to travel about 10 to 15 knots. Top speed about 19 knots at 3000 rpm. Do not like to push the old engines too much and conserve fuel. I have twin TAMD40D, average fuel use is 1.5 mpg. And that was pushing it about 30% of the time. I think I can get better fuel use if I keep it at about1500 to 2000 rpm. Thanks for any info.

Wizard
02-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Those that haven't been there and don't know the ropes, don't realize you can really leverage a few days over there. I'm no expert, but no place else I know you can go round trip in less then one tank with 3 safe harbors. It's only 67 miles from Mission Bay to the slide. Can stay in Avalon for a night for a good dinner, come and go to fishing spots all day, stay on the hook overnight for WSB at many backside spots. If up at the Two Harbors end fishing, and want a safe harbor when the wind comes up, Two Harbors is one of the few natural safe harbors with mooring balls in all California.

Honeygirl
02-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Bob we were on VHF11. Its a good channel to be on when there are that many squid boats around. I almost started mother-f-ing you till I read the name on the boat. I thought you were Scott for a min. It was tight quarters and still some a-hole anchored in between me and Mark Wish. Fishing the island is nothing like offshore no one talks on the radio. The spots are to precise to give up. If I were you I would motor by water from SD. You will spend less time and maybe less fuel. the Island can be a very scary place if the weather gets bad. I have been fishing it since I was a little boy with my father and still have had the shit scared out of me at times when the fog or weather comes up. The only way to learn the island is to fish it and talk to people. I could give you spots and if your not on them right your not going to catch fish. I have been in on both sides of the coin even after being called in on fish. Joe

sharkwaters
02-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Joe. I saw you looking our way, but I would never park that close to someone. I only wanted to get a meter read on the line everyone was on to see if there was any bait and if it was worth setting up on at that depth. I figured that if the Seabass were there, I wouldn't spook them because of the depth. Were you working with that Skipjack? I saw an Outerbanks and a skipjack following each other. We were at Owl rock area and the OB set up on a kelp west of us. Just wondering if that was you and how you did.
Bob

Nomad
02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
So sounds like we may have the makings of a Blackman flotilla to Catalina. What do you say Honeygirl, any interest? We'll need you to provide some island insight and instruction. If we have enough interest, I'll take the lead on coordinating something.

Freespool
02-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I would like to tag along. I have only fished Catalina a hand full of times. I have bean wanting to do a trip and it would be nice to go with some other boats.

Honeygirl
02-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Sounds good to me, Late May early June works good. Don't know where the fish will be but I do know where they have been in the past. let me know.
Bob
Didnt see the Skippy I see the other outerbanks alot at the island. We were there solo We headed west after we left the grounds. Joe

Professor
02-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I’ll be there 5/18 thru 5/22 and 6/16 thru 6/22. I may try and squeeze in an April run but I need to focus on getting the Patron sold before I start with the serious fishing.