PDA

View Full Version : SAD SAD DAY

Mac Attack
02-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Watching my boat leave the launch ramp behind the new owners truck. Lots of memories with it. New owner towing is towing it 1700 miles to it's new home, Westport Washington.

Mike

Freespool
02-25-2008, 08:26 PM
A sad day for sure. I did talk to Erik the new owner on the phone a while back and it sounds like she is going to a good home. I am sure she will be well taken care of.

DOGHOUSE26
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
I'd be crying my lights out too if I was thinking about getting another one for 65K more than I had in the old one(unless there were problems)!

Mac Attack
02-26-2008, 01:44 PM
No problems at all, but the boat is 23 years old now. When do you turn it over? I sold it for the price I bought it 10 years ago. Time to at least step into the 90's or 2000 model, tuff decision.

Mike

brian_g
02-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Mack,
I've been looking at that boat with envy since you first put it up for sale (the first, first time). It really is/was beautiful and in great condition. Congrats on the sale and looking forward to seeing your more modern Billfisher.

Or the 29' model.......
:D

yellowfin1
02-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Bittersweet moment I'm sure. Congrats and at the same time sorry to hear about it. I also have an older model Billfisher and still love it but, would like to move into a newer model (why?).

DOGHOUSE26
03-01-2008, 10:59 AM
If I had a pre-1985 Billfisher with glass over plywood decks I might wonder how much longer before a major deck repair; other than that of the 3 major componets of the Blackman (hull, motor package, and electronics ), the hull has changed the least and the other 2 are relatively inexpensive to upgrade and replace. 30K for a motor package with a 2-6 year warranty and 10-20K for electronics and you're good as new! I think that's why they hold their value so well, the new models have to be up close to 150K now!

Honeygirl
03-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I would move up to the 29 if I had the cash and could have a custom pilot house built. Having twins gives you a lot of piece of mind when your 100 miles out. I think a lot has changed in the Blackmans since the 80's. They are more refined and cleaner all-around less wood on the interior and more amenities. I do wish Steve would do a hull change another chime would help when your in a big following sea. The technology is changing faster than the boats are. The engines are getting stronger and faster. If I was in the new market for a boat I would be looking at the hull design close. Do you but a boat for 150g's that rides good at 20kts or pay the same price for a boat the rides great at 30-35knts. Maybe it's my generation, having the speed to get somewhere faster is more important. I felt it first hand two weeks ago when a parker and I were racing to the same spot I got out-ran and left for the spot first. Joe

Mac Attack
03-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I am getting a sneak preview of the Patron' tomorrow. I know once I see it, I will want it. Still holding onto my slip, maybe, just maybe, I can swing it. Pre-approved for a loan.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
03-01-2008, 10:21 PM
The Patron is one of the finest 26s ever made and Yale has put a lot of thought into the custom upgrades. She would be a nice boat to own and she has been on several long distance trips and performed well , Yale has caught alot of variety on that boat!

DOGHOUSE26
03-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I would move up to the 29 if I had the cash and could have a custom pilot house built. Having twins gives you a lot of piece of mind when your 100 miles out. I think a lot has changed in the Blackmans since the 80's. They are more refined and cleaner all-around less wood on the interior and more amenities. I do wish Steve would do a hull change another chime would help when your in a big following sea. The technology is changing faster than the boats are. The engines are getting stronger and faster. If I was in the new market for a boat I would be looking at the hull design close. Do you but a boat for 150g's that rides good at 20kts or pay the same price for a boat the rides great at 30-35knts. Maybe it's my generation, having the speed to get somewhere faster is more important. I felt it first hand two weeks ago when a parker and I were racing to the same spot I got out-ran and left for the spot first. Joe

Joe it's not just your generation, big reliable outboards were not available in the 80s when Blackman became popular hence the need for a more reliable economical but slower means of travel. Now you can get 2 reliable outboards for the same money as a single diesel I/O and get 50-100% more speed for close to the same milage; and with all the pressure the crowds create on the fish it's better to be the first one on the scene! Time will tell if the Parkers and Seaswirls hold up as well as a Blackman, but with any boat it's more important to use them often than just letting them sit. The only time the speed differential affects me is on a flat day going home; I'm not going to drive 35-40knts at night on the way out, we're generally trolling looking for paddies during the day, and there are not that many days you could travel at high speed into the wind chop and swell coming back from the southern tuna grounds. JMHO

Mac Attack
03-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Looked at the Patron today, wow it is loaded. Needless to say I'll be wining and dining my wife this week. Going to crunch some numbers and see if it's do-able. My 15 yr old son says he will mow every lawn in the neighborhood if thats what it takes. Yale is a great guy with two beautiful boats. Now off to see why the check engine light has come on yet again on my 07 Ford diesel it seems like it's been in the shop more than the garage.

Mike

Honeygirl
03-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Jeff. I agree with you. We also do two different types of fishing. One of the best seabass 6pack captains always tells me you don't need speed to catch fish!!! I’m just a motor head and love to go fast. Doing 18-20knts just feels like I'm standing still.
Mike, I hope everything works out and you get the boat.
Joe

Professor
03-03-2008, 09:14 AM
I think speed can often help you not catch fish. You’re the first to the spot and now it’s yours so you’re going to stay there in spite of bad conditions or not catching fish. Speed can also push you into a move to quickly. Lots of times a 50 yard move is better than a 5 mile move and 50 yards doesn’t take much speed.

When you move at a slower speed you can assess the conditions, when you bombing along at 30+ knots your driving the boat.

Honeygirl
03-03-2008, 10:51 AM
As I said before we do different types of fishing. I fish the islands 99% of the time and Taking 2 hours or more to get there is a true waste of time when I can be there in an hour or less. Plus I like to have the extra power to get out of a bad situation fast. I want my boat to respond as fast as it will when I need it to. Also fishing a lot of tournaments Speed is a must when you’re on a time frame to get there and back fast. The fast you go the further you can go. It’s a give and take. In my boat I always have an option to go slow. I'm not saying I need a boat that dose 50+ but a boat that dose 30-35knts is not extreme and the hull design on the Blackmans can't handle that speed.

Sleigher1
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey Mike, what's the story on that Landcruiser?
I have an 80 BJ 41 RHD with a diesel.
Good luck on the boat thing.
Speed is for people with more dollars than time.
My boat (Longfin) was no speed demon. 15-17 kt cruise. But the dollars were not there for the fuel or more HP.
Charley will get more speed for sure but it's costing him and it will keep costing at the pump.
But, if he takes me fishing I'll help out :) .
Landcruiser looks way Kewl!

Peter

Mac Attack
03-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Peter:

My cruiser is a 1967 FJ-45 long bed pick-up. It has a chevy 350 w/ automatic transmisson. Completely rust free. I also have two 40's a 73 and a 76. It's my other passion.

Mike

Honeygirl
03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
"Speed is for people with more dollars than time"

Not true at all. My boat dose 26knts at 2.5mpg and today’s diesels do even better on fuel mileage with more horse power.

Laura Mei
03-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I am with Joe. I want to have the option to go fast 20-25 knots if conditions allow. I am fully aware that my Outer Banks - Laura Mei (Peter's old boat) has a hull that was not designed for speed. With the new Yanmar at 315hp it should have power to spare.

DOGHOUSE26
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
It will be a rare day with your 315 Yanmar to run the boat if it is properly propped @ the recommended 3000 RPM cruising speed.

we should all be lucky enough to have that problem!

you might need a larger rudder however, check your steering at full speed and make sure it's equal both directions.