PDA

View Full Version : Hookey in LJ

yellowfin1
03-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Been a while since I actually posted a fish report. Nice to be on the board.
Fished Friday (solo) in LJ. Wow, I thought I was at Catalina with all the squid boats out there. Purchased half scoop of the squirts from the "Outer Banks" and headed to the kelp for a shot at a WSB. Wasn't meant to be. There was absolutely no current. At about 8 AM the current started to move a little and the mackerel schools started popping up just outside of the kelp obviously getting abused from below. Tried the surface iron, yoyo, and live squid on the sinker to no avail. Thought I'd fish the squid like a sardine and fly line it. Didn't take long before I got a strike. The fish ran right towards the boat so initially I could not tell if it was a fish of any size. Once the fish straightened out the line I could tell that I was into a decent YT. After about 8 minutes or so I had deep color and confirmed a nice yellow was the culprit. After a couple attempts to get the fish close enough for a gaff shot I finally sunk the hook into a solid fat winter YT. Couldn't high five anyone so I just celebrated by myself with a beer. Unfortunately it was my only celebration of the day as I didn't catch anymore significant fish. It was cool to fish with live squid as I never did that before. Sure seemd that there were a host of critters pushing up those mackerel. Mike, if you read this please put me down for a 26lb yellow. Picture is on the board.

Scott

NoSlack
03-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Right place, right time, right bait and you're on the board for 08. Congrats on the fat yellow.

Current was slack on saturday as well. If the conditions improve, I think we'll see another run on the WSB and big Yellows before the squid are spawned out.

Mike

2008 Leader Board (http://members.cox.net/noslack/Leader%20Board%202008.htm)

fireescape
03-08-2008, 08:32 PM
very sweet scott.... great job on the yellow! im with mike, I think we will see a snap in the seabass real soon! zack

DOGHOUSE26
03-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Great job Scott on the YT! Don & Jerry from the No Bad Days 26 Blackman fished Thursday night and Friday morning with Mike Shaw on Mike's Fish Hawk, they caught a yellow too on a mackeral. I wonder if the yellows are stuffed on squid now and prefer finbait over candy?

yellowfin1
03-09-2008, 03:06 PM
What up Jeff,

Yep I saw the Fish Hawk fishing right behind me. Heard them hoot anf hollar a couple times. Sounded like they were having fun. I wonder if they got the yellow after I tipped them off about the yellows working the mackerel schools? That was sure a nice boat (Fish Hawk).