PDA

View Full Version : 3/14 Comfort Zone

NoSlack
03-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Slipped back into my comfort zone for 3 keepers. The 2 #12's came drifting bait and we picked up an #8, bounce balling the same area.

Today was all about working the kinks out of the Bounce Ball technique and took up 90% of our time. We did meter a great spot of bait and I made the guys reel up the flashers and go old school and drift some bait. That's how we picked up the two bigger fish. We did break off one nice one on the flasher later in the day.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/575/12-halibut.JPG

Professor
03-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Like you needed a new way to corral the flatties. Those poor things don’t stand a chance when you hit the water. Nice job none the less.

Honeygirl
03-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Nice fish Mike. I have High hopes for this year. I want a seabass over 50 and a flatie over 30.

LABRISA DEL MAR
03-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Nice fish Mike,What bait did you use?
David

DOGHOUSE26
03-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Nice going Mike, you picked the right day!

NoSlack
03-15-2008, 07:07 PM
David

We started out with x-raps behind the flasher for nothing but Spotted Bay Bass. Next on the list was 6" Gulp sardines with a hoochie skirt for nothing. I don't know if those were bad choices or I was in a bad area.

By mid morning the crew was losing faith in the skipper so I metered around and found an area I wanted to drift a few baits through. We went back to the tried and true method of drifting sardines and put the two #12 in the box in short order.

Now that the crew believed there were fish in the area we went back to bounce balling. This time we pulled live sardines 40" behind the flashers for several shorts and two nice hookups that we broke off on #20. All my pre-tied halibut rig are tied up with #20 and that proved to be a little light when a big fish hits with the boat moving at 1.8 knot. Lesson learned, bump the line size up to #30 or maybe #40 when bounce balling.

Still lots to learn about this new style of fishing, but it looks like it will produce some fish if you have the crew to handle all the extra gear.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
03-15-2008, 09:15 PM
The All Stars out of O'Side use 25 or 30# Floro; they get more than their share of big ones!

NoSlack
03-16-2008, 07:06 AM
I think the floro is a good idea just for the added abrasion resistance. We were changing out the line from the 3-way to the sinker a lot because it would get scuffed. At 5 bucks a pop for the 2 pound balls, I don't want to lose one if I can help it.

Mike

yellowfin1
03-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Great job Mike. Nice fishes.