PDA

View Full Version : 3-18 PM looking for LJ Squid

DOGHOUSE26
03-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Left MB around 5PM headed up to LJ to see if the squid were still around; passed an anchored light boat in135' off Marine Street. Surveyed the NW Corner off the point all the way to Scripps pier; a few small baitballs here and there but I didn't see any squid on the meter. Didn't see a whole lot of bird activity either. a handful of yakkers and a couple of skiffs in the kelp, one with a dive flag. Water was 60.5 off LJ; 56 off MB. The water was dirty brown off the cove. Passed the light boat on the way in, the crew must have been sleeping I didn't see a soul and I didn't meter any squid while I circled their boat.

yellowfin1
03-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for the squid scouting report. Did you even fish?

NoSlack
03-19-2008, 08:18 AM
The squid we got a couple weeks ago, was west of the kelp, mid way up the line. Metered the NW for nothing then came back to that area to get the job done.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
03-19-2008, 10:12 AM
The squid we got a couple weeks ago, was west of the kelp, mid way up the line. Metered the NW for nothing then came back to that area to get the job done.

Mike

That's where the squid boat was last night, my buddy said the squid boat moved off NW this morning and it looked like they were selling. He was up there early to light up however his Blackman wouldn't come out of gear when he arrived so it was back to the slip for him no fishing.

Yesterday I explored with my new meter; it has this Fish ID feature where it uses both frequencies to either measure the size of the fish and display it or display the fish depth. You can calibrate it as well. Yesterday I'd see alot of 30-60 " fish on the screen, I passed over a rockpile @ 76' with a 66" fish on the side (Maybe BSB) and 12-14" fish above the rockpile ; I dropped my sabiki down and caught 4-10 to 12" macks. I don't know if it's a gimmick or not but that could be exciting if it works. Other than that not much else. Didn't try the White Line Marker yet.

NoSlack
03-19-2008, 06:56 PM
If you can get the white line working with the fish measure feature, you can be selective on the halibut and only target those fish in the 40-46 inch range. ;) No sense waisting time on those sub 40 rats.

Enjoy your new toy. Sounds like Furuno added a lot of bells and whistles on the new model.

Mike