PDA

View Full Version : Easter halibut

NoSlack
03-23-2008, 05:00 PM
The easter bunny did a good job hiding the halibut in the bay. We bounced balled and drifted bait form 7 until 2:30 for one keeper and 10 shorts.

After two trips to see how bounce balling produces compared to old school drifting, drifting is up 3 to1 on keepers and dead even on the shorts.

Mike

No pictures, you all know what an 8 pound halibut looks like.

yellowfin1
03-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Sounds like some fun research. That's what I like about Mike. When he makes a claim about fishing you know that it is fact and based on intense test and evaluation.
Based on your efforts I will not invest in the flashers and heavy leads. I kind of like the sit back and drift method better (assuming there is a drift). I hope to do some research on sitting back and relaxing (and hopefully hangin a fat barn door) soon at SCI.

NoSlack
03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
I'll keep the bounce ball plan as a back up for those day when the breeze never comes up.

I picked up 2 18" drift socks that I run on the sides of the boat. With 12' of rope on the sock, I tie it off at the cleat aft of the flybride and run the rope forward to the third rail support then over the side. The chutes run back to the end of the flybride and stay out of the way of your lines when you're fishing.

This setup gets me down to 1.8 knots and makes the boat handle a lot better than the way Glenn and I tried last year with the chutes out the back.

Mike

Wizard
03-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Sounds much better then our attempts last year.. I can't get my boat that slow so far.

NoSlack
03-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Glenn

I picked up a pair of these 18" socks off ebay for $17 shipped. We can test them out on your ride or just get a pair of 24" and you'll know you got enough drag. Should really help out on the T-sharking later this spring.

Mike

http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/e2/ab/c1a5_1.JPG

Wizard
03-25-2008, 07:07 PM
I have something similiar, at least 24", if not bigger, from ebay from last year. But I think it's the two idea that might work better then one.