PDA

View Full Version : need lower gears

DirtyE
04-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Howdy all, well on my second trip out with mac attack, I noticed a funny vibration at higher rpm, took the lower unit off and I have a broken tooth on the pinion gear, any ideas or info that might help, Thanks Erik.

NoSlack
04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Erik

If I remember correctly, you towed to Washington. With all the boats up that way you shouldn't have any trouble finding a reputable Volvo shop in your area. Down here is So. Cal. we have a shop called Outdrive Exchange just for occasions like this.

Chainging out the gears is not a do it yourself job for the average guy. Not to say it can't be done at home, but you will need some shim kits, a micrometer and a way to check the gear backlash along with a Volvo special tool or two.

Didn't you dump a prop the trip before last? These DP outdrive a pretty tough until one shaft has much less load on it than the other. When that happened, grab a basket to catch all the pieces as she chews herself up.

If you've got a little time, keep an eye on Ebay. A whole 290DP drive with transom plate went for $2000 today. Not every day you find a deal like that.

Mike

DirtyE
04-03-2008, 08:26 PM
yes I did lose a prop 1st. trip out, I really dont know if that contributed to the issue or if the issue was there prior to me getting the boat doesn't matter I just got too fix it, I can get a new lower unit with exchange from volvo for $4000 W/ exchange, wow 2 trips on this boat and $4300 dollars, I knew boats were a money hole but shit, I know rebuilding them yourself is not realistic(shimming, timming, etc.) but I've talked to a number of volvo guys today and it sounds like this was a issue before I lost the prop, I'm no mechanic but I know when things aren't right and I never over rev'd the engine, I noticed a problem and limped her home twice, shitty day sorry for the rant just wish I could enjoy my new blackman and not cost me my kids college fund. Thanks Erik

Honeygirl
04-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey Eric. Like Mike said there should be plenty of shops up your why with the skills to do the job. For all the guys on the board be VERY VERY careful if you use outdrive exchange. The owners name is Ray and is on the less the honest side and has the record to prove it. I have first hand knowledge of the this shop.

$4000 seem high for a lower unit. I replaced my hole drive last year for $5800 plus tax(new from Volvo). Did you call mike to ask about the vibration?

DirtyE
04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks, its not the name of the shop but a actual exchange program with volvo. they are new rebuilt outdrives from the factory with a exchange of your old lower unit. Erik

NoSlack
04-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Is the $4000 price for the whole outdrive or just the lower end? I bought a DP lower end and installed it on my drive 5 years ago and I don't remember spending more than $2000.

Installing a new lower end is fairly easy. One shim check, 4 or 5 bolts, fill her full of oil and you're back in the game in a couple hours.

If you go with that option and need the write up on the shim check, I can scan and email to you.

Mike

Honeygirl
04-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Ya I got lucky and got one off of evilbay for $700 for my other boat. The 290s are pretty bullet prof not normal to have one go bad.
Eric, Zack(fireescape) has a 290dp for sale just about brand new shoot him an email

DirtyE
04-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah thats $4000 from the factory for the lower unit, I have called around and thats the cheapest for a "new rebuilt" theres a used one on craigslist for $1700 in san diego but man I think I dont want to "f" around and get whats right. E.

Honeygirl
04-03-2008, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't spend 4g's on lower, Just me though

fireescape
04-03-2008, 10:26 PM
eric..... give me a call I have a less than 1 year old 290dp that i will make you a deal on. zack 760)802-6481

Mac Attack
04-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey Erik:

I had the outdrive reworked last summer by a Volvo certified mechanic, C&C Marine here in MDR, his name is Karl and is from Sweden very pricey $$$, but highly recommended. He installed a new lower housing and reshimmed. Picked up some heavy mono around the prop. I believe the paperwork was with the boat. John (Blackman mechanic) also did the u-joints earlier the same year. I spent about $2500 on that drive last year. I feel terrible about what happened.:confused:

Mike

DirtyE
04-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Hey Mike don't lose any sleep over it its just money I'll make more tommorrow, its been frustrating, but I think the ol girl is just testing me to see if I'm true to her. Hey did you get that number? Erik