PDA

View Full Version : Friday 4/11 at La Jolla

yellowfin1
04-12-2008, 09:23 AM
What a gorgeous day in La Jolla! Kept hearing guys off of Pt. Loma talking about how windy it was but, flat and greasy in LJ until 3:00PM. Despite the super weather and tons of fin bait all over, the fishing was not great. Tried live dinos, macks, throwing iron, and yoyoing in the middle of those bait balls for zero. Decided to check out a few rocks in 215' of water. Turned out to be my saving grace. At least the rockfish were cooperating. Fished them for about an hour for a few decent barber poles and starries. Really had to sort through those endangered bocaccios. Almost every drop produced one. Thought I'd try Torrey Pines for the flat type so I spent a couple hours motoring around there. Nothing looked good (no bait up there). Back to the rockfish spot. Now there were 5 other boats working the same rocks but, there were plenty of fish to go round. Ended up with a legal lingcod and a decent red for my efforts. Mike, please post a few desperation points for me. Ling = 4 lbs, red = 2.5 lbs. Pics on the picture board.
Thanks,
Scott

DOGHOUSE26
04-12-2008, 11:35 AM
No signs of Mr T yet?

NoSlack
04-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Good going Scott. I sure could have used a few rockcod on Saturday to save the day. Waisted a beautiful day bounce balling from Del Mar down to Black's for nothing.

Mike

2008 Leader Board (http://members.cox.net/noslack/Leader%20Board%202008.htm)

yellowfin1
04-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks Mike.
Jeff,
No sign of T sharks for me. I was looking hard and rigged for bear. Another boat was working hard 3-5 miles off but, I don't think he was succesful. At least I didn't hear of any caught. All the big areas of bait that I saw were in the kelp and out to about 115'. Sure seemed like conditions wer ripe for WSB or YT. Water still cool (59-60).

DOGHOUSE26
04-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the update Scott. Looks like my days off will fall on Mondays and Fridays for the next 3 months; I guess I'll have to be the pre-weekend scout for you guys when I can get on the water! At least I'll be able to tell you where NOT to go!