PDA

View Full Version : Busted Shaft!

sharkwaters
04-14-2008, 02:52 PM
I took TUNACIOUS over to the island to try the WSB. Got a nice scoop from Long Beach Carnage. Fished the third Vee with the fleet. Nothing going on. I saw Honeygirl on the Ist vee. Tried to hail, but no response. The fleet spread out from there. We were running into little harbor and had a loud clunk and no more go. Checked foward and reverse, tranny is good. Called Vessel Assist. Took one hour to get us and 6 hours to Dana Point. I dove the boat next day. Prop sheared off after the strut. Called Steve today to set up repair. John is on the way to Mexico. Hope the repair can be next week or two. Hope the insurance will cover the cost.

Bob

Wa Mei
04-14-2008, 05:03 PM
I took TUNACIOUS over to the island to try the WSB. Got a nice scoop from Long Beach Carnage. Fished the third Vee with the fleet. Nothing going on. I saw Honeygirl on the Ist vee. Tried to hail, but no response. The fleet spread out from there. We were running into little harbor and had a loud clunk and no more go. Checked foward and reverse, tranny is good. Called Vessel Assist. Took one hour to get us and 6 hours to Dana Point. I dove the boat next day. Prop sheared off after the strut. Called Steve today to set up repair. John is on the way to Mexico. Hope the repair can be next week or two. Hope the insurance will cover the cost.

Bob

Wow...sorry to hear. Did you hit something? If the break is clean,
you might want to check the cutless bearing...if it's worn; the shaft
could have been scored over time (metal to metal) therefore creating
a weak point. You should have had some vibration if the cutless bearing was
worn. I am assuming you have an inboard and the prop is gone too...did the
prop hit the rudder?

Again, sorry to hear and hopefully insurance will pick up the tab...

Tightlines,
Alan

DOGHOUSE26
04-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Bob,

What HP motor are you running and what is the shaft diameter?

Time Out had a similar failure last year, I think electralysis was the culprit

sharkwaters
04-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi Guys.

The boat is a inboard. Its a Yanmar 240- 1.5:1 gear ratio- swinging 18" X 17.5" wheel. Shaft size is 1.25" Steve is using 1.3/8" with the Yanmars now. I dove under the boat without a wetsuit to take a look. The break looked jagged, right behind the strut. There was a little vibration a few minutes before it broke. I'm not sure if I hit something or not. I thought I picked up a kelp stringer on the rudder. I hope it is not electrolosis. The diver has not mentioned anything.
Bob

DOGHOUSE26
04-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Bob,

I'd talk to Russ hughes, I Think that's exactly what happened to him. Stainless doesn't show electralysis like aluminum does, I think it works inside out. The shaft guy can tell you what happened, Russ used Blackman's vendor for the new shaft.

sharkwaters
04-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Very Good. I will call Russ and find out his experience.

Bob

Time Out
04-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Bob
Sorry to hear about the shaft. My problem was the battery charger we never turned it off John from blackman tells me that was the source of my problem. The shaft size should be 1" 3/8 that may have been your problem I dont know. Just a reminder for everybody Shut your battery chargers off they leak power through the block.

Hope everything goes well for you let me know if I can help

Russ

sharkwaters
04-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi Russ. I think that was my problem too. I recently started to leave the charger on because I was not running the engine very much. Did you increase the shaft size on the second go? Who did the work? Which grade did you use? Aquamet has about 4 or 5 grades. Aquamet 22 is very strong.

Thanks for the advice.

Bob

Time Out
04-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Ha Bob

1"3/8 on the shaft I cant remember the type The company I used has been suppling shafts for Blackman for a long time if you need the name I will find it. they made my strut also SS very nice work they are small shop on Shelter Island. Are you going to use blackman for the repairs.

Russ

Honeygirl
04-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Hey Bob. Sorry to hear about your shaft. We got one legal and nothing else. I did have some friends get some big fish. Hope you get back on the water fast.

Russ. I think John telling you turning the batter charger off is a cop out. One of the biggest problems with blackman's is they are not grounded very well. Blackman need to start putting a bonding strip in all there boats. I have huge electrolysis problems and I also know that Zack (fire escape) dose too. If What Johns saying is true then Anytime you boat is charging the you feeding power through the block and when your batteries are charged the battery charger should turn its self off. Sound like something we should all be watching close.

Joe

Professor
04-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Joe,

“Sorry to hear about your shaft. We got one legal and nothing else. I did have some friends get some big fish.” I’m also sorry about the shaft problem as I now have two of them, but what about the legal and two of them comments. Headed to Catalina with know knowledge whatsoever!

Malu Lani
04-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I only use my charger about once every four to six weeks .Steve told me only to use it when you need it.I have no problems but I did add a zinc on the transom grounding straight to the block.The zinc is about 6"x4" on a stud thru the transon.I have been told that some belive marina village is a hot marina.

To The Limit
04-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Dynamic Marine Machining, 2805 Canon St., SD, 619-222-9805

sharkwaters
04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Russ. Yes, I will use Blackman for the repair. I have a few other things to get done also. I may look int a new Simrad AP16.

Joe. Nice going on the ghost.

Thanks for the info on the machine shop. That is probably where Steve gets them.

John is in Mexico for a week or so servicing the boats down there.

Thanks for all the help.

Bob