PDA

View Full Version : 4/20 day "not" at the docks

NoSlack
04-20-2008, 08:43 PM
With only one day off this week I took a pass on the Day at the Docks event in lieu of a day on the water. Hit up SD bay for a day of halibut fishing. We worked the outer bay on the incoming tide for a 23" fish that went back, in hopes of building some good karma. A couple drifts later I picked off a 29" fish in the same area before the tide went slack and we retreated back into the bay to fish a spot that bites well on the outgoing tide.

Back in the bay my Bro in-law wanted to work the bounce ball for a little while. After a few hours of pounding the sand with the big gear we switched back to old school drifting and pulled in another 29" fish working the same area we bounce balled.

Total for the day
1-short
1-23" fish
2-11 pounders
and that brings the drifting vs Bounce Ball score to 7 to1 on keepers, in favor of the old school drifting.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/11halibut.JPG

fireescape
04-20-2008, 09:22 PM
nice job mike... looks like old school drifting is were its at!!!!!! congrats on the flatties zack

yellowfin1
04-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Good work Mike. Appreciate the statistics. Seems like an organization such as Scripps, or NMFS should be paying you to do this research. I'm sure that they've paid others (in the form of grants) bigger money to do less research.
It would be cool to fish and gert paid for it? Only problem would be all the paperwork and briefs that would go along with it.

Nomad
04-21-2008, 01:06 PM
You really need an assistant to help with all the administrative details Mike. I'll volunteer to take all the notes. I'm thinking we start by documenting your top 25 most productive spots. Also, please provde me with all your records from past trips and I'll collate them and keep archive copies on my boat. Then I'll need rigging details of your preferred setups. That should be a good start!

NoSlack
04-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Charlie

You hook me up with someone that can get my bounce ball game on track and I'll turn over the books. You already know 21 of the 23 hot spots, what to look for on the meter and how I rig the gear. Sounds like I have nothing to give up and everything to gain on this deal.

Welcome to team NoSlack. I like my spreadsheets done in Excel, my photos printed border less and my coffee black.

Mike

Nomad
04-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Yes sir, thank you sir may I have another...