PDA

View Full Version : La Jolla, 4/28

firebc
04-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Went out for some bottom fish and did okay. Found a good spot and anchored. That was a mistake! Spent 30 minutes trying to break loose with no luck. Ended up cutting the line. What's that going to cost? Maybe $600?

The good news is that we caught several fish and most were good size. At one point we spotted bait off the bow with something working under them. A cast with a "mint" colored jig was hit hard and an 18 pound yellow was landed. Glad one of the guys was prepared for anything.

Water temp. was 64.5 and if radio reports mean anything, not much was going on. I have a picture but not sure how to include it in the post.

DOGHOUSE26
04-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Ouch, I feel your pain but at least you have some fresh hamachi out of it! Hope your back is OK pulling on that rope, it can get tough! Thanks for the report.

NoSlack
04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
What's the numbers for the spot? I always like fishing "new" structure.

Bummer on the anchor Phil, but you get a thumbs up for putting the crew on some fish.

The picture posting deal was covered by Charlie awhile back. http://www.bocaboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302

Mike

Professor
04-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Mike,

Phil’s anchor doesn’t constitute a new spot. I’m an anchoring fool but 50 fathoms about my limit. After that it’s a mark on the GPS chart.

firebc
04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry Mike, I still can't figure how to download the picture. I guess I'm a computer idiot! Not that it's important but I'll send it to your email.

Did not record the coordinates to the spot. I started to write it down just before the anchor problem and then lost my train of thought. We did well on most stops but it was an early bite (before noon).

NoSlack
04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
http://www.bocaboard.com/data/510/firebc.jpg

yellowfin1
05-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Ahhh,

There's that yellowtail! A picture says a thousand words. Looks like a very nice day out there.

yellowfin1
05-01-2008, 08:22 AM
I forgot to mention that there have been numerous times that I have been motoring around LJ just goofing off and had large schools of Yellowtail pop up busting bait especially out there off of those deeper rocks in as deep as 50 FA. I would recommend that any of you fishing that area always have a dedicated jig stick rigged with a surface iron at the ready. Same with a mako rig as they often pop up when you least expect it. Ok, now that I gave all that advise, guess I better go catch some fish.

firebc
05-01-2008, 12:46 PM
You can barely see the jig. I have to think it was a female yellow that hit it. I can't believe a male would hit anything that color!

I agree, having a rig ready is a great idea and I will practice that.

Also heard several white seabass were caught yesterday. Anyone else heard anything?

Phil

Honeygirl
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Nice fish, the mint green is my favorite color jig for yellow. I know the action is more important than the color but that one works well for me. Joe

DOGHOUSE26
05-01-2008, 10:43 PM
i can't keep the barries off my mints