PDA

View Full Version : Going south for diesel

Al Gagnon
05-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Stopped buy the fuel stop that I usually buy my diesel. Gone up again and this time another .40 cents for diesel. Over $5.00 and climbing. I got so ticked off, I need to look into buying fuel at Ensenada marina. Anyone familiar with directions from San Diego, distance from Pt. Loma, GPS numbers, where is the fuel dock ocate when I enter the bay, etc. My tank is about 300 gallons. I am thinking on going fishing and burn as much fuel as I can and then going into Ensenada to fill up. I might bring 2 ea. 50 gallon drums and buy about 300 gallons. Do they only take cash at the fuel dock. Are sport boats buying all of the fuel and any good places to eat or stay over night? Can you sleep on your own boat at the dock? I want to use my boat a lot this summer and the fuel price put a damper on fishing long. Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for the help. I know that I go south.

Professor
05-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Al,

I’m going south next weekend. Stay at the Coronados Friday night, fish there Saturday, go to Ensenada and fish Saturday PM and Sunday AM and then go to Marina Coral and fuel up the main and 6 ea 15 gallon tanks on deck. Last time fuel was $2.36 per gallon. Definitely worth the trip.

The trip is about 65 miles from San Diego. I don’t have the numbers at the house. It’s ~a 170 heading to Pta. Salsepudes and then follow the coastline in an arc to Coral. Coral is north of town and is easy to spot with all the sail boat masts and the hotel behind them. The entrance is on the east side of the jetty. After entering head toward the launch ramp on your right and you will see the fuel dock to the left of the ramp. The last time they took a credit card but I was staying at the marina. I would plan on cash. You need to have your documentation with you. You may also want to spend a day and get a temporary importation permit for your boat. They will also clear you with the port captain.

Al Gagnon
05-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the directions. I just had my two raw water pumps rebuilt and the valves on both engines adjusted. I just need to install new belts on both engines. I usually have my tank topped off, but stupidly thought that the fuel prices were starting to stabilize, NOT. I try to go by the book and ck in at Harbor Police with Customs. Last time we were their for about 3 hours. Day shift forgot to give the message to the night shift. Called in about 3:00 pm and another person called in about 1 hour before us. Customs Second shift said we were the first to call. I am very upset with the way they handle this so called protection of Homeland Security. Sorry to complain. Were you in their recently? Was their ever not enough fuel to go around? Just thought of something. If any body on this web site has experiences with getting fuel at Ensenada, chime in.
Al

hijole
05-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I just bought 105 liters for $60 dollars yesterday in TJ. The line was about 15 cars at 6:45 am.

scuttlebutt
05-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Two of the guys that have trawlers in my Marina go up to Tecate to get there fuel. They started with large 1oo gal barrels but had a little trouble getting back over the border with them so they changed to smaller barrels that just barely show above the pickup. Have had no problem since. Easy to get over and from the border from Tecate. They transfer the fuel to containers that have wheels and take down to there boat in the evening when the boat house is closed.

hijole
05-28-2008, 09:42 PM
I can't remember going to fill up in TJ and not have someone with US plates filling up a large tank in the bed. Several weeks ago a lady was filling up the large tank when I arrived and was still pumping when I left. She told me she has never had a problem getting across.
I guess if you are close to Tecate it's the same deal. The wait in TJ is guess work in the regular line. this past Saturday the regular line had about 10 cars in line at 6:30am. Check out this web site for aftermarket tanks. They are all kinds of tanks for in bed or to replace your existing tank.

http://www.transferflow.com/